Is there a way to show only the most commonly-used toolbar buttons?

When the application is maximized, I can see all the buttons:

But when I split the screen to view a spreadsheet next to some other document, many buttons are hidden off-screen:

To apply borders, for instance, I need to click the >> button and then click another two times:

When the toolbar is shrunk, is there a way to automatically prefer buttons I don’t use commonly for hiding in the off-screen menu, while keeping the most commonly-used ones visible?

(Also can the font name dropdown be narrowed when toolbar space is reduced?)

There’s no automatic solution for this?

There’s no automatic solution for this?

Yes, you’re right.

However, you have the possibility to use other UI layouts. See if there is something suitable for you:

User interface in Writer

1 Like

You can “put away” toolbar elements in two ways:

• Use the enable/disable checkboxes in the >Tools>Customize>>Toolbars dialog.
  • Use the context menu you get by a rightclick on the toolbar, choose the Visible Buttons item thjere and then the respective “toggle buttons”.

Yo can make the most used command areas of you toolbars preferably visible by placing them on top of the list in >Tools>Customize>>Toolbars again. Right of the list you will find there arrows for moving the chosen item up or down.

So you mean just manually move buttons to the left of the toolbar so they are cutoff last? No way to make it automatic?

The fact that you request the presence of the buttons is an indication you are formatting you document manually. Though this is acceptable for experimenting, it will lead you to formatting nightmare on valuable documents (documents you “polish” for “official” or professional use). Learn how to use styles. You won’t need any longer toolbar buttons.

For an introduction to styles, read the various guides.

1 Like

This isn’t relevant to my question

It provides an alternative workflow where the buttons are no longer useful and the fact that some of them are hidden when window is minimised is no longer important.

I don’t see how this would make adding borders to spreadsheet cells any easier

You define the borders in the style. You apply this style to the selected cell(s). Advantage: with a named style, you can change the appearance of all so-styled cells in a single step. As you as you save the style changes, all cells are immediately reformatted. Also with such a style you have the absolute guarantee that all related cells always will look the same.

3 Likes

One minor warning: There is no way to “mix” border setting by inheriting styles. A daughter style gets all border settings and either resets all borders or leaves them exactly as is. Of course, one can still manually replicate the inherited borders then make individual border changes.

1 Like