Is there an issue with data validity?

Hi. I often use data validity on calc sheets and I’ve noticed that since upgrade to 24.2.5.2, if an invalid entry is made in a cell and the ‘stop’ warning is shown, clicking OK on the warning box causes LO to jump to the NEXT cell. I’m sure it didn’t used to do this. Surely it should remain with the cell being edited…

Edited after some testing… Well it seems my memory has been playing tricks on me. This is the same action as in earlier LO versions - I’d just never realised. It still begs the question wouldn’t it be better to remain on the cell in question rather than jump to another ?

After every data input in a cell the Calc will jump to the next cell (to the next row or to the next column - depended on the settings):

Tools - Options - LibreOffice Calc - General - Input Settings - Press Enter to move selection (Down/Right/Up/Left)

1 Like

The problem was/is created by the patch introduced (for LO 24.2.1+) by the misunderstanding of what the normal “Data Validity” (aka “Validation”) behavior should be, in tdf#159595, which broke compatibility with older workbooks and with every other spreadsheet tool.

See also tdf#160096.

How is that “data validation broken” bug related to the “validation error message box dismissal brings you to another cell” question here?

Sorry about that. The relation was/is the rejection of the initially-introduced value. I focused on that part, rather on the “brings you to another cell”, which I now realize is the main issue in this topic.