Ever since I upgraded from Fedora 33 to Fedora 35 about a month ago, when I try to copy/paste (or cut/paste) in the Macro Editor, the pasting uses what appear to be Chinese characters (or other similar-looking Asian character set?) For example:
I copied the End Sub line and pasted on the next line.
At first I thought this was a glitch in F35 somewhere, and I do believe it is likely outside or upstream of LO, but after several updates since, which replaced kf5 and the libreoffice suite packages at least once (and IIRC, 2x or more; several kernel updates too) I am still seeing the issue. I do not see the issue with any other part of the system.
Some things I tried:
- Searching ask.libreoffice.org with nothing coming up that is related. (I consider this unlikely if it was an issue in LO, but maybe macros aren’t used a whole lot??)
- Searching google, also fruitless.
- Trying to narrow down the issue:
— Copy/paste within a Writer document works fine.
— Copying in Writer and pasting in Macro Editor works fine.
— Copying in Macro Editor and pasting in Writer pastes the Chinese characters.
— Copying in the Macro Editor and pasting in a new email in Thunderbird works (hummm…). Maybe no support (configured?) for Chinese?
This leads me to believe that the editor is using a different method for the copy function than Writer does, and the issue is with the editor code that is doing the copying [not setting a character set or font??], but not knowing anything about the internals, that’s just a guess.
So I have a few related questions:
- Might there be a system setting somewhere that could cause such behavior, such as a font setting or maybe a pinyin alternate input method turned on when I do not need it?
- If that’s unlikely, could someone give me a hint as to what is doing the copying in the editor, or where in the code I might be able to find it? I have never looked at LO code, but am willing to with some pointers.
- Might this be up-stream of LO? What project would be the next that I should contact?
As always, very appreciative of any help received!