Issue with Spreadsheet and email addresses

Hello an thank you for a excellent program - that respects our rights to privacy.

ISSUE:
One column (D) has 1500 membership email addresses.
Some addresses are showing as blue and some are black.
NOTE: The blue ones have a green check-mark beside the “Input line” the black coloured emails have a “=” beside the “Input line”.

GOAL:
To highlight the whole column, and edit so the black become links instead of a Formulae(?).
Or, any other means except one cell at a time.

SUMMATION:
It would be great if Search & Replace could do the job - tried but can’t make it work. Must be another way?

Many thanks,
:peace_symbol: `S~

I’ve played with this a little to try to understand your issue.
Isn’t it the case that if an email address is provided in a cell - even if the address is not a valid one - pressing Ctrl+left mouse click on the cell with the address will generate an email from your email client (Thunderbird in my case in ubuntu 20.04).
Apologies if I have misunderstood your question. In my test sheet the email address in the formula bar is formatted as text.
What have I missed from your question?

email column.ods (8.4 KB)

It will be great if you upload a small file (.ods) with an example.

1 Like

If your comment was for me @sokol92 - done as an edit to my comment.

@GrahamLees, I’m sorry, my comment was related to the author of the topic (@Redacted). In your example, everything is fine and we do not see any incomprehensible effects.

1 Like

Hi @sokol92 and thanks for the interest.

I would love to provide a example .ODS but I signed a document guaranteeing I would not share the data in any way shape or form.

I explain in my reply to @GrahamLees so anyone else searching for same will find the cure.

`

Please, edit your question and add a sample of the type contents of the cells; replace name@mailprovider.com with aa@aa.com, but include all other symbols or functions. Thanks.

The green check-mark is seen while in edit-cell mode (F2).

It is manual formatting? The color changes with Font Color button?

Hi @GrahamLees and thanks. Apologies for delay. Health and COVID to blame.

I’ve edited your image and added what I mean. In the #1, the text is black and doesn’t link. The #2 shows the green check-mark, only when there is a address that is a link.

So, summary, some text is blue, some black and the black don’t link whereas the blue does.
I tried highlighting the column, and make it all text, but it won’t listen to me :slight_smile:
Even this was 3 months ago, I still encounter the same issue in the same file.

Those I am permitted to share the data with ask why some are links, others are not.

www_shows_blue-and-black

TIA
~`

1 Like

The blue color comes from menu Tools - Options… - LibreOffice - Application Colors, Unvisited links; and it is related to menu Tools - AutoCorrect Options… - Options tab, URL Recognition.

• Select the column
  • Choose menu Data - Text to Columns…
  • In the Text to Columns dialog, select the column heading
  • Choose Text for Column Type
  • OK

Tested with LibreOffice 7.1.8.1, on Windows 10.