JAVA JRE not found

I am running LO Version: 6.2.3.2 on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.

Somehow, there is no JAVA JRE listed under LO->Tools->Advanced.
I believe when I upgraded to a newer version of JAVA, it disappeared from LO.
It complains about the missing JAVA JRE every time I start LO (this is very annoying!).

When I go to that Advanced tab, there is nothing listed there for JAVA JRE in the box (it looks like there should be a choice of known JAVA JRE’s?)

When I click ADD, I don’t know what it is looking for.

It doesn’t explain what file I should point to with ADD and it opens my Documents folder (as if a JAVA JRE would be in that folder?).

Not having the JAVA JRE seems to have had no impact on using LO, but it is so annoying that every time I start LO there are dialogues to click through about this.

How to fix it?

Thanks.

Hello,

if you think you have a jre installed, you can try to add a similar path to this one.

/usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/

if it is wrong, you will get a message, that no jre could be found.

If no other folder under /usr/lib/jvm/ works,
you most like do not have a java runtime enviroment installed.

To fix this, simple do the following.

1. Close all running libreoffice programms

2. Install the default-jre and libreoffice-java-common packages via:

sudo apt install default-jre
    sudo apt install libreoffice-java-common

3. restart libreoffice

Hope that helps.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

I have about six folders under /usr/lib/jvm/ including /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/

Do I need to select a particular file under those folders? No matter which one I choose, it says there is no JRE there.

Yet, I have a JRE because I write, compile, and run JAVA programs every day:

$ which java
/usr/bin/java

$ java -version
openjdk version “11.0.8” 2020-07-14
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 11.0.8+10-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu118.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 11.0.8+10-post-Ubuntu-0ubuntu118.04.1, mixed mode, sharing)

You dont have to select any files, since you are asking I am still assuming that you did not enter the correct value. Please try it like this:

1. Copy via CTRL+C this /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/
  2. Open the Java Options Window and click the “Add…” button.
  3. Press CTRL+L (this way you should be able to enter fullpath as text)
  4. Insert the path via CTRL+V
  5. Press Enter or click the OK button.
  6. The JRE should now be shown in the jre table.

Does that work?

@mkstreet : Any progress?

Hi igorlius, I had the same problem as mkstreet. I followed your advice, except I didn’t have to install default-jre: a simple sudo apt install libreoffice-java-common did the trick, that is each and every jdk under /usr/lib/jvm suddenly appeared. Many thanks!