Language setting

Hello! My default language is english, however, i do write documents in spanish (mexico). I cannot firgure out how to set the doc language to spanish. Tools>>>Language>>>For all text>>>Spanish. but it doesnt save it. ive also tried selecting ALL the doc but to no avail. i appreciate any help! God bless.

but it doesnt save it.

Could you please clarify? Do you mean that when you do this operation, and save the file (to which file format?), and reload, and select some word, its language is not shown Spanish in status bar? Or e.g. that after the said operation on Language>>>For all text, when you type the next word in your (which?) operating system, the new text gets English language? (and then which input language is used in your OS? Do you change the input language when typing - which would be best?)

Hello Mike! Thanks for the response. I’ll try to clarify. The doc saves without a problem (in Spanish). The issue is whenever I am typing the document. I start a document and it automatically tries to correct the language (words are underlined red for correction). I highlight the document (Ctrl A) and go to tools>>>language>>>for all text>>>Spanish (Mexico). It does that correctly but once I start typing again, it reverts back to English from that point on. Once I type another paragraph, I do the same thing or I’ll wait will the end of the doc and just change the whole thing to Spanish. It saves it to Spanish, no problem. I open the doc and the text language at the bottom bar says Spanish (Mexico). If I try to continue with the doc, it stays with the language I saved it to (which is great). At the very least, I can change the language at the beginning of the document, name it and save and close. The. Reopen and start my doc. That seems like that can be fixed but I’m not a programmer. Ha! But if that is the answer, not a problem. I truly appreciate y’all and the work y’all do. God bless.

Open a new document.
menu:Tools>Options>LanguageSetting>Languages
Western Language: Spanish(Mexico)
Check "Current Document Only"
Confirm the options dialog.
menu:File>Templates>Save…
Give a name to the new template.

When you want to start a new Mexican document:
menu:File>New>Templates… [Ctrl+Shift+New] and open your Mexican template. You will get a new, unsaved document with Mexican language settings.

Templates store all your personal settings for page layout, formatting, predefined contents for all the letters, books, contracts, manuals you write.
Working with templates and styles is the most fundamental capability when working with office suites.

1 Like

Dear Villeroy,

NAILED IT! Thanks a bunch for your help and time. have an awesome day.

JON

Note that using a template will not change anything in this case (although it is a good advise by itself), if the problem is in the use of system input language setting.

1 Like

I assume that you use Windows. (Please note that it’s always good to mention details of your environment, even if you don’t see how that can be relevant.)

LibreOffice has a feature (that is enabled by default) to use current system input language (when possible) as the language of the typed text (in Writer). This language is applied as a direct formatting whenever you type an alphanumeric character on OSes where we can get that information - for now, that’s Windows and also (since recently) QT5 integration (other Linux integrations don’t (yet) implement this).

This great feature helps a lot to people who use different keyboard layouts or otherwise different input languages. E.g., here in Russia we naturally use at least two keyboard layouts - Russian + English, with associated input languages - and switch between them whenever we need to type a character not present in current layout; we mostly have a muscle memory for the key combination (say, Shift+Alt) to do that. So having that combination also a shortcut meaningful for Writer makes our lives much easier - Writer always knows if we type in English or in Russian.

In Western European and American countries, people often use a single keyboard layout, even though they type in multiple languages (because a single layout - e.g., intl - enables them to type all the characters that they need). For them, this feature is unknown, and they don’t realize all the power that they ignore. You may set up your OS to use several input languages, even using the same keyboard layout, and switch them when you start typing Spanish vs English … and have Writer see that and react automatically.

But since people don’t know or don’t want to use that, the feature becomes an obstacle - as in your case. You likely have always en-US (?) input language selected in your Windows, even when you type a Spanish text; and Writer sees that en-US language, and applies the attribute to your typed text.

If you do not want to use the described feature, then enable [x] Ignore system input language setting at Options|Language Settings|Languages.

1 Like

Dear Mike,

great information. Thank you so much. Have an awesome day.

JON