Large spaces between some paragraphs

Version: 7.2.6.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: b0ec3a565991f7569a5a7f5d24fed7f52653d754
CPU threads: 8; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 22000; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

I am copying the text of an .odt manuscript and pasting it into a 6x9 book template
When reviewing the 6x9 formatted pasted odt document I find some of the chapters contain large spaces between paragraphs which I cannot correct.
Can someone suggest what is causing this frustrating problem? Thanks for your help

There are images or frames in the manuscript? You can see that with the Navigator (F5).

How much large?

1 Like

Thanks for your response
The spaces are large more than half a page with the next paragraph jumping to the top of next page
There are photos in the manuscript but the large spaces do not occur near them

Check out the Text Flow options.

1 Like

The link that @LeroyG has the information. To clarify, make sure that your normal paragraph text, usually Body Text, doesnot have Keep with next paragraph applied. Reserve that setting for headings

1 Like

First, select the “Toggle Formatting Marks” icon ( Ctrl+F10 ) in the Standard toolbar so that you can see the control marks in the document.

Open the Sidebar in the View>Sidebar menu, ( Ctrl+F5 ).

There select the icon “Styles”, and at Styles “Paragraph Styles”.
If you place the cursor in a paragraph, you will see the selected paragraph style in the sidebar.

Right-click on all paragraph styles that may cause problems and select “Modify”.
In the dialog at the tab “Indenst&Spacing” check all spacing settings and change them if necessary.

You may need to remove the direct formatting first.
Select all, Edit>Select All ( Ctrl+A ).
In the menu Format>Clear Direct Formatting ( Ctrl+M ).

Check whether you are using unnecessary paragraph marks.
The Pillcrow character - ¶ - should only mark the end of a paragraph (-text).

Advanced help:

Professional text composition with Writer

You can upload an anonymized and truncated file where the problem is present here for someone to look at in.