Large spreadsheet created with OpenOffice crashes on LibreOffice

I created a large spreadsheet on OpenOffice, and wanted to switch to LibreOffice. I can open the spreadsheet, but almost any edit I try (changing a named range, editing text or numbers) causes LibreOffice to crash and recover the spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is very large, so it’s hard to find out if there is one cause or many for the crash. I’ve opened the spreadsheet with LO, then saved it immediately, but when I re-open, I can’t do much before it crashes. Is there any way to narrow down what is causing the crash?

OS ? LO and OO versions ? Format of the file ? And without a link to the file, nobody can try to understand what happens.

OS is Windows XP, LO is, OO version is current. File is an .ODS. I could upload the file, but was going to try and narrow the problem down first. I tried paring the file down to see if I could come up with a testcase that doesn’t rely on a huge spreadsheet, but the problem goes away.

I’m not looking to have someone debug it for me, I was wondering how I’d go about gathering some info from the crash to narrow it down myself.

I will try to upgrade LibO. I am hesitant to report a bug, because I can’t send the spreadsheet (private data), and almost anything crashes it. If I go back to OO and simplify the spreadsheet, going back to LibO causes the bug to go away. I’ll see what I can do. Yes, this works on Apache OO 3.4.1

Please, try with LO 3.6.3 which has just been released.

After upgrade to the latest LibO version try to reset user profile as decribed here It helps in such strange situations with unexplained faults.

First of all, I recommend you to upgrade to final LibO (or 3.6.3 RC 2 - in a few days this version will become final release).
What means “OO version is current”? Current version is Apache Open Office 3.4.1. If you use other (older) OO version, then upgrade to latest. May be problem is in OO.
Sometimes such problems may occur. Please report a bug with detailed description, LibO, AOO and OS versions, example files and screenshots (if available) and specify “regression from AOO 3.4.1 (or specify what version of OO you use)”

guys…why would suggest upgrading to 3.6.x…3.6.x has a whole bunch of general/basicstability problems
things like file association under windows gets messed up, cant launch in place, etc. 3.5.6 works real well.

3.5.6 is a very problem version, especially when working with complex MSO documents. In some cases documents become unreadable. Migration to 3.6.x fixed all that problems for me.

@vojo: You can’t say that files association is a stability problem. If you are not able to restore files association, you should learn how to use of your OS. It is a basic action for who has the admin rights to install softwares.