Libre (7.5.1.2) runs sooo slooow when I open an existing 1-page file

LibreOffice slow on Mac OS12.6.4

This is not a new topic, but I can’t find any answers that work.
LibreOffice used to work fast for me, but not since a new Mac & new OS.

I have a Mac Pro 2019. It has 32GB RAM, and runs Mac OS12.6.4 (Monterey). The computer runs fast for my CAD, graphic art, and music editing programs.

Libre (7.5.1.2) runs sooo slooow when I open a 1-page file (12 to 15 seconds), or try to print it (10 to 20 seconds). Some files do open faster, but most are very slow, even when I close all other apps.

AN INTERESTING DISCOVERY
If I open a Libre file in FreeOffice, save the file as .odt, close FreeOffice – then try to open the file in Libre, it opens instantly. Does this suggest something to do with the saving function in Libre?

I have tried almost all suggestions on this site, but with no success. For example:

• Dec 22

• Restart in safe mode> Reset to factory settings>reset entire user profile. No improvement.

• AUG 20

• OCT 16

• Nov 13

• AND OTHERS

Problem exists for Writer and Calc.

Almost ready to slit my wrists and return to the hideous MS Word.

Any solutions?

To better expose your question to knowledgeable contributors, change the title of your question. It will also remove your emaill address from public disclosure and avoid potential spamming on you.

2 Likes

You can sort the answers by Latest Post (instead the Relevance default order).

Which ones?

[removed e-mail address from the question title]

I have recently upgraded to LibreOffice 7.5.6.2 from version 7.4 on my MacBook running Mac OS Ventura 13.6. I am also finding that printing is painfully slow, taking around 17 or 20 secs for the print dialogue to appear. That was not a problem with 7.4.

Does it mean your file are saved in some other format than .odt?

In both Libre and FreeOffice I save in .odt.

Click LibreOffice > Preferences > LibreOffice > View and tick the box Force Skia software rendering, OK. Restart LibreOffice and see if it speeds up.

I am on Windows so not sure if that option exists in Mac.

1 Like

Thanks for this.
Force Skia software rendering is available in the Mac version. However, I currently have it NOT ticked, because of previous advice to turn it off.

try it and see

Unless you have turned Skia of entirely

Again, thanks for your suggestion.
I have used Libre for some years now, I rather like it, and hate Microsoft (especially their money grabbing system). But I have spent so much time trying to get Libre to work well in its latest versions, not only the slow responses, but also unreliability in dealing with styles, etc.

Regrettably I have decided to revert to microsoft.

I understand, it isn’t easy for a non Apple product to survive in a Mac environment and sometimes it takes time to discover changes in the operating system that affect programs.

I have to say however, that shifting to Microsoft Office for the superior handling of styles is like shifting to Windows XP for better security.

It is indeed interesting.
However, this story itself doesn’t allow us to see the difference in the content. If you could, it would be nice to have a sample file that opens slowly for you, and the result on re-saving using FreeOffice - both attached for inspection. Then it could be possible to try to see differences, and also try to create a series of changes to the original file, which you could test to say at which point the slowness disappears.

All that needs a bug report, and the following work (from both sides). It is fine to choose the tool that works for you; “hatred” to any product or any company isn’t reasonable nor constructive. But if you feel like doing some effort to contribute, the bug report would be a great and welcome contribution.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I have used Libre for some years now, I rather like it, and hate Microsoft (especially their money grabbing system). But I have spent so much time trying to get Libre to work well in its latest versions, not only the slow responses, but also unreliability in dealing with styles, etc.

Regrettably I have decided to go back to the dark side, and revert to Microsoft.

TIM LAMBLE
tim.lamble@aussiebb.com.au
26 Sadlier Street, Gowrie, ACT 2904
*61 2 62920392