Libre Calc creating hundreds of .tmp files

We have laptops utilizing Libre Calc to access spreadsheets saved to a shared network folder.In two weeks, 295 .tmp files have been created in our network folder. I’ve checked and the temporary files are set to save locally. What is going on? All of these devices have read and write privileges, as I saw elsewhere it may be due to a permissions issue. They also all have been restarted, Libre Calc has been closed out, etc.

I would love to be a psychic. Then I would know how your network is structured and how the permissions are assigned. Then I would know which server and which operating systems you are working with. I would also know which LibreOffice versions are used.
I would know how LibreOffice has been set up in the network.
But maybe you can help here?
Please!

2 Likes
  1. The user has all rights to all files and subfolders, but are denied Delete Subfolders and Files, and Delete.
  2. The files are held on a Windows 2019 Server, and they access these files through a mapped network folder
  3. All Laptops have Windows 10 Pro
  4. They’re using Libreoffice v7.2.5.2

Isn’t point 1 explaining the problem?

1 Like

Yes, but I’m looking for a way for the tmp files to be created elsewhere. I don’t want to allow the user to delete any and all files within this folder, but I also don’t want hundreds of tmp files clogging up our system.
Is there any way for them to access a file from a network location, and save all tmp files locally?

Likely it’s because when saving files they are not written in-place but written to a temporary file (in the same directory so the subsequent move is fast) that when written successfully is moved to the actual target, so that doesn’t get overwritten with bad fragments when saving failed. The one possibility to do that in your setup is to copy the temporary to the target and leave the temporary behind…

2 Likes

Temporary files folder

They said

The Temporary Path is for interim files, not the final save (if things didn’t change since I was last involved with that topic years ago).

And not only that: there is code on some platforms, trying to keep the replaced file’s identity, which is important in some cases - like shared access on Windows, where creation date, file creator/owner, ACL, etc. needs to be kept. It would be impossible when copying across volumes.

1 Like

This is not so much a solution but potentially helpful information for people. I had this issue and I don’t have a particularly complicated system but I noticed that Libreoffice kept saving .tmp files during a period where Libreoffice kept crashing. I don’t think that Libreoffice kept crashing because of a stability issue with Ubuntu 24.04.1 (see Stability in 24.2.6.2 included with my clean install of Ubuntu 24.04.1) Since the latest Ubuntu update Libreoffice has stopped crashing and I haven’t been getting lots of .tmp files. The .tmp files have no data in them anyway, so I will delete them