Libre_dead

Since Libre will not open since installing latest update (7.1.3.2) and I have not heard of any fix, is my only recourse uninstalling and re-installing Libre?

… , is my only recourse uninstalling and re-installing Libre?

Possibly, but that is not always the solution.

Tell us first what system you have (Computer type and operating system version).

I know there are some quirks with various versions of MacOS, and other systems may have similar issues which are not helped by removal/reinstall. In those cases you need to alter some settings when software is installed. In other cases, “residue” may need removal between uninstall and reinstall.

My computer is a 64 bit Dell desktop Optiflex 960 operating on Windows 10, latest update.

Please note

If a problem is caused by a corrupt user profile, reinstalling LibreOffice won’t help at all, since this action won’t touch the user profile. Therefore: Before reinstalling check whether the user profile might be the cause of a problem.

To test whether LibreOffice user profile is causing the issue:

• Right click -> Run on Windows Start menu (or Windows Key + R)
  • Type "%ProgramFiles%\LibreOffice\program\soffice" --safe-mode into Open text field (including the double quotes)
  • Click OK
  • Click button Continue in Safe Mode
  • Does it start this way?

**Ref.:** [LibreOffice User Profile](https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile)
Please provide a feedback about such user profile test using *add a comment* function.

The instructions above about opening in a safe mode does not work. I get a message that Libre is not available. I first tried the “copy and paste” method and then hard typed the command in - same result. Another question - how could an update corrupt my user profile? It never happened before.

You could try going to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features, right-clicking LibreOffice 7.1 and selecting Repair.

If LibreOffice is not listed then installation was halted, probably by Windows or anti virus. See General installation issues (Windows) for help on installing

I get a message that Libre is not available.

Sigh. Every time I see “let me use my own words to express what I read in an actual message” instead of “here is the exact message” (or alternatively “this is a screenshot of the message”), I give up and don’t try to guess what the actual problem might be.

Thanks Earnest Al. I tried this and Libre does not come up as option. I’m about ready to scrap Libre and go crawing back to Microsoft. It’s a real shame, because each time a new release comes out I contribute $20 to help defer the programming expense.

If LibreOffice does not appear in Programs and Features then it hasn’t been installed. Something has blocked installation, probably your anti-virus.

My guess is that you haven’t yet read General installation issues (Windows)

See also I can’t install programs in Windows 10 on MS forum

Also check:

• Is there sufficient free space on your hard disk?

The basic OptiPlex 960 configuration was with a 160 GB harddisk. Decent size at the time, but over the years it may have filled up. There may be things you no longer need, or caches which haven’t been cleaned up, if you need to make some space.
  • Is your Windows version the “10S” variety?

If you - upon upgrading to Win10 - chose the “S” variant, you can only install software available through the Microsoft Store.