Libre Office Calc not opening in Ubuntu 20.04

I installed ubuntu for the first time. Installed latest version 20.04. LibreOffice Writer is working, but Calc is not working. It shows an icon in the taskbar, but application is not opening.

Writer is working, but Calc is not working

This does not make much sense actually. LibreOffice is a monolithic application, and Writer and Calc are merely two different interfaces to the same core libraries and binaries. This said, launch Writer and try to open a spreadsheet file (or create one). What happens?

Please open a terminal, call: libreoffice --calc and provide any error message you may get. In addition it might be very helpful to provide: dpkg --list | awk '/ii/&&/libreoffice/{printf "%-4s%-40s%-20s\n",$1,$2,$3}'

Please do **not** use *Add Answer* but **[edit](https://ask.libreoffice.org/t/libre-office-calc-not-opening-in-ubuntu-20-04/53365)** your original question to enhance the details of your question. Thanks in advance …

Had the same problem. Came up in sidebar, and I would get a tiny X that was the entire calc window. I assumed it was bugged.

Drag it open to maximise the size of the window and bingo.

Hope this helps.

Thank-you, solved for me now.

The error said java was not installed. After installing java, it worked. Thanks @anon73440385.

This solutions seems a bit incomprehensible since Java is not required to run Calc.

I had the same error and installing java also fixed it, but calc then opened with an extremely tiny window. When I ran ibreoffice --calc before installing java I got this error:
avaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
Please ensure that a JVM and the package libreoffice-java-common
is installed.
If it is already installed then try removing ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/config/javasettings_Linux_*.xml
Warning: failed to read path from javaldx

Same issue here. On ubuntu 20.04 libreoffice calc hasn’t worked since I moved to 20.04 last august.
Thought it might get fixed in an update, but still doesn’t work.

As the OP mentioned apparently there is a java dependency causing the error.

$ libreoffice --calc
javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!
Please ensure that a JVM and the package libreoffice-java-common
is installed.
If it is already installed then try removing ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/config/javasettings_Linux_*.xml
Warning: failed to read path from javaldx

The error said java was not installed. After installing java, it worked.

One person posts something, and then people repeat the same nonsense.
There’s no requirement to have Java installed. However, there may be situations when some installed components (e.g., extensions) try to check stuff, and in the process initialize scripting components, at which moment the “error” shows. Dismissing it (sometimes several times) would run Calc anyway. And it would be good to find out what was that exactly that caused the message appearing - so that actually fix it, instead of blindly installing Java that you don’t really need.

The “javaldx: Could not find a Java Runtime Environment!” is absolutely harmless console warning, and all this thread looks like red herring. The actual problem is elsewhere.

1 Like

I have got the same problem. I have Java installed still unable to run only the Calc. I have also ubuntu 20.04 installed. First time working with ubuntu

Please do **not** use *Add Answer* if you actually don't answer a question but commenting an answer or responding to another user’s comment. Please use ***add a comment*** for that purpose. Thanks in advance …

I had the same problem and solved it by deleting the ~/.config/libreoffice directory, as per this link:

Worked for me - Fedora 38, Libreoffice 7.5. Calc and Writer windows opening like a bar. .config/libreoffice/3 and .config/libreoffice/4 removed. Problem solved.