Libre Office extremely slow since updating

since updating from LibreOffice 6.x to the latest, everything has ground down to an absolute crawl. Not only does Libreoffice not work, but it causes the entire PC to come to a halt.

1 Like

What operating system are you using? Please add some details to your question as requested, This is the guide - How to use the Ask site? - #3 by Hrbrgr

I’m using Windows 10. My main goal is to find a version that works that can read xlsx files that works on my computer. I hadn’t updated for many years and then after the update the computer kept experiencing freezes that continued until I shut down LibreOffice. I’ve now uninstalled it for the time. The main symptom was every LibreOffice document using up about 10% of CPU on a system with a Ryzen 5900x and the system being unusable whilst LibreOffice was open. Would really like to find a version that can open xlsx files without creating these other problems.

1 Like

It might be the graphics card doesn’t play well with Skia. See if LibreOffice works OK in Safe Mode, click Start menu > Apps > LibreOffice > LibreOffice Safe Mode. A new dialogue will open, select both Configure and Disable hardware acceleration (OpenGL, OpenCL, Vukan) and click Apply changes and restart.
When LibreOffice restarts click Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View and under the heading of Graphic Output tick the box Force Skia software rendering and OK. Restart LibreOffice and I expect it should work OK.

If not then it could be that you need to reset your User profile, LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki

1 Like

thanks will try this.

This is an extremely useful tip, it really improves the speed.
There are two more suggestions for best experience. All together they are:

Tools / Options / LibreOffice / ...
... View / Graphics Output / [X] Force Skia software rendering
... Advanced / [ ] (uncheck) Use a Java runtime environment
... Online Update / [ ] (uncheck) Check for updates automatically

It makes a big improvement on MS Surface 3 running Win 10 Home!
I mean to say, forcing out Skia, and without the JRE, make such a marked notible improvement that LO is almost on par with MS Office itself in terms of usability.

These settings above must become defaults in the next release!

As for updates, it must be manual on command of the user, not the other way around, to minimize operating system threads running around and, thus, improve overall system performance,

Java is used in Base for report builder, it really doesn’t do anything otherwise so it makes no difference to speed or usability turning it off. It might as well be left on in case one day you need to use Base.

It is a personal preference so it doesn’t matter.

The settings in Options will remain as you set them through LibreOffice updates, so why do you want your preferences be default for everyone?