Libre office is not opening on Mac OSX Lion

but when trying to open it I get a message, ’ Libre office could not open this application because PowerPc is no longer supported’. how do I resolve this?

Hang on a minute. I have provided a PowerPC-specific answer, but just realised you are running MacOS 10.8. I think I may need to delete my answer. Can you please confirm that you are NOT running a PowerPC-based Mac (I presume you are not).

Do you mean intel based mac? It is intel based one with MacOS10.7. Libre office was working well with OS 10.6 in the machine.
Thanks

Yes. Thanks for confirming. I also got MacOS 10.8 confused with the “Lion” codename, which as you point out is actually v10.7. I will edit my answer to better reflect the situation.

You should not be seeing any PowerPC-related messages on an Intel-based Mac. Under the v4.0 series of LO support for the PowerPC architecture has been removed and at least MacOS v10.6 is required, so MacOS 10.7 (Lion) should be fine. Please raise a bug and provide as much detail as possible. Post a link to your bug back here using the format “fdo#123456”.

Thanks!