Libre Office slow opening a document (hangs for 45 to 60 seconds) for Writer when connected to the Internet

So, as explained in the title… Libre Office tends to freeze for about 45-60 seconds upon opening a Writer document I recently created.
I discovered that disconnecting the Wifi tends to resolve this problem and the program works fine like that (it opens pretty fast)… however, this is not sustainable as I need Wifi on (and no, using a wired connection isn’t an option).

A friend of mine who has a desktop system doesn’t have this problem (despite the fact his computer is also all AMD). I’m using a laptop wtih 2TB of NVme for software and another 2TB of SATA ssd for storage (where I keep my documents).
For OS, I use Windows 11 fully updated to 2H22 (recent upgrade from Windows 10), 64GB RAM, and have Ryzen 2700 and Vega 56.

Additionally, Libre Office and even Windows tends to ‘hang’ similarly for 45-60 seconds when trying to print documents… only this usually happens when trying to do so once after a restart or after coming out of sleep mode… subsequent attempts at printing are working fine.

I’m using latest Libre Office 7.4.1.2 x64.

Please advise (why am I experiencing these hangups)?
I also attemped to set my Printer to PDF (to prevent logging of Windows to the wifi printer).

These isssues do not exist on a friend’s system who has a desktop PC similar in specs (all AMD and SSD’s) to my own.

I tried clean installs of Libre Office and driver reinstalls… nothing works.

1 Like

You may find in this forum 2 typical reasons:

• Waiting to get information from a printer on the network, wich may be offline.

• Connections to datasources on the internet, sometimes created by dragging data from a website to an office-window.
    Best to be checked with the navigator.

In both cases wifi-off gives a quick return, otherwise LO will wait for the request until reaching a timeout.

1 Like

My experience tells me that the printer settings may be the most likely cause.

Do you perhaps have a network printer(s) which is (are) switched off when LO starts?

1 Like

Had an identical problem. It was resolved when I turned on a wireless printer which was set up by Windows, or when I took the printer off the printer list. This is an unfortunate behavior - I rarely use the printer, and leave it turned off most of the time. It would be helpful if Libreoffice were modified to not hang under these circumstances.

1 Like

I am having the same issue with Writer. Opening a document can take 20+ seconds. Closing a document can take 50+ seconds. Saving changes can take 20-50 seconds. I am writing a book, so this is not going to work in the long run.

I have used LibreOffice in a fully wired PC desktop, Windows7/64 bit operating system for 2 years and I have never encountered this. LibreOffice has been really good. I have NO wi-fi anywhere around me. All equipment is wired and not able to be wi-fi.

I have tried both 7.3 and 7.4 Writer. 7.4 became so unstable I uninstalled and went back to 7.3 - but now it is degrading in a few ways… all revolving around saving changes and opening and closing documents. Big documents are a real issue - and I routinely work with 25+ page documents. It’s like the multiple edits are overwhelming Writer.

I reported this to Bugzilla initially and the software improved for about 2 weeks. I am not sure what that was about.

This problem is not related to WiFi - you’d get the same problem, if you have a seldom used network-printer, wich is simply switched off, or if you generally switch on this printers only at first use…

1 Like

Have you tried right click in taskbar then select Task Manager to see what’s hogging your resources? Perhaps do the same on your friends machine and compare differences.

I had the same issue with a printer from work. Switching that on while being at home was of course no solution. O, and I had to wait indefinitely, not 45 seconds.
I removed the printer. But now I will have to install it again when I want to print at my work. Not convenient.
So, I second the suggestion that this should be fixed.

It should not be necessary to remove the printer. I usually suggest to print the document once to a pdf-printer (use print not export to pdf) and set the pdf-printer as default. Now you have an always available default, and hopefully no delays.
As I noticed also the answers by @Nnnes and @swasvet2003 the problem may be related to internal proceedings in the drivers.

1 Like

Please test with a clean profile, Menu/Help/Restart in Safe Mode

Thanks Mariosv. I did reset the user profile back to factory settings and restart.
Unfortunately, the issue remains.

I am saving to .doc formats only for file sharing. I find that other systems cannot open .odf or .docx.

If you have seldom used printers (being switched off and thus not responding to queries), request LO not to retrieve the paper sizes from them.

• go to Tools>Options
  • in LibreOffice Writer>Print, untick Paper tray from printer settings

This is my configuration and my LAN printer is almost always switched off.

LO 7.3.7.2, Fedora 36 (Linux)

1 Like

I’m using Libre Office 7.3. I had an issue upon installing the newest version of Windows, and Microsoft deleted Libre ( and a bunch of other apps) and would not let me reinstall Libre Office. (I know that sounds impossible, but that’s what I experienced.}

When the reset was done I had to reinstall all my 3rd party apps from websites, including LibreOffice 7.3. That’s when Libre Office started to take 50 seconds to reload.

I checked "go to Tools>Options in LibreOffice Writer>Print, “untick Paper tray from printer settings” but that box was already unticked. I just changed my startup settings to “load LibreOffice on starting” and I’m not going to close the app, maybe leave a blank file open at all time. Not very satisfying solution, but I’ll see if that works.

Sorry for leaving this out of previous post. I’m also leaving my printer on. After reading Wanderer’s post, I turned on my printer and voila! the problem was solved. I just hope the printer doesn’t draw too much electricity in wait mode. P.S. I always had the printer off previous to the Windows reinstall.

I started experiencing similar delayed document openings for Cal but it was well after I downloaded the latest version of Libre Office. After reading the comments regarding printers, I notice my printer had a low toner message … I did the normal practice of taking the toner out shaking it and replacing it to get the last bit of use of the toner. I also unplugged my printer and then turned it back on. Now all of my Libre Office documents open almost immediately. I’m not in the field of IT but the aforementioned actions I took resolved the 45 second delay when opening a Libre Office document. I hope this helps.

Installing drivers specific to my printer (a Brother MFC model) instead of using the default print drivers provided by Windows resolved this issue for me. No more hangs, even when the printer is off.

2 Likes

I had similar problem - 90 seconds to load LO, similar to load any file; coincidentally Firefox took nearly as long to load. I run Arch Linux, Xfce, systemd. Checking the systemd journal I found in red “Failed to start Portal service” - with a wait time of 120000 msecs! Taking the hint from a fellow sufferer - Failed to start Portal service - Support - Manjaro Linux Forum - I removed the file “xdg-desktop-portal-gnome” (using pacman). Now LO and Firefox both load within a second or two!

Having the same problem, and no solution seems to work to eliminate the problem.

Have determined that the problem only occurs on our Windows 10 system. It does not occcur on the Windows 11 system.

I had a very slow load of writer docs, some 30sec.
My solution was unticking
“Load Printer settings with the document” in options/‘Load/Save’/General"
Appearantly may Libre Office try to connect to the printer.
If the printer is offline may it take some 30sec extra.