Libre writer auto scroll and new pages

I am knew to libreoffice and I am trying to create multi page document from scratch… and is driving me crazy. every time i click on empty space when I am zoomed in it takes me to the top of the page. Every time. Left mouse click = top page. Second issue is any time i add page break it creates the new page on the top instead of the bottom. Idk am I stupid or something is wrong here. I am using Linux with gnome 4.6. Also if someone can explain to me how to multi select objects because holding shift or ctrl does nothing.

We already got OS name (but which distribution?). LO version? Save format is irrelevant here, but it’s good to know though.

How do you add page break? Ctrl+Enter or Insert>Page Break? Anyway, this page break is inserted at the cursor location. So …

Regarding clicking in empty space, the cursor will jump to the “nearest” location in your text.

Helpful advice: since you’re new to LO, enable the various hints in View menu. The most important is Formatting Marks which gives you an idea on what is really in your document. Keep these settings enables; they don’t print, so there’s no harm on your output (printer, PDF, …).

Thanks for the reply. I am using ubuntu. And I save the file in the default odt. I add it from the insert menu. When I press ctrl+enter the “footer” goes up and more times I press is it reaches to the top and stops. Never mind i delete the footer and it goes back on the button then I add break from the menu and the new page again appears above before the current. I set page numbers and indeed the top one is page 2. I don’t have the time. I need 3 page presentation and will just use something like Inkscape to do them separately and other software to merge them into one. Seems so much easier now since I can’t figure out such a basic things with this writer. I tested Libre Draw and Libre Calc to create random content and see what happens when I click on empty space and it doesn’t do it. Only Libre Writer does that and is so annoying… Anytime you misclick something your view just disappears goes on top where the header is. Is there a way to select all the contend from the page and copy paste it on another page?

Here is a video of the mouse click bug. Watch Peek 2024-09-18 16-38 | Streamable

From the look of your screen, your document is not a simple text one. It contains graphical material. This may play a major role in your problem.

It my be that you don’t click on “empty space” but on some background image which then get selected.

I can’t tell anything about your issue because you didn’t even enable View>Formatting Marks to have an idea about contents.

Attach your file for in-depth analysis.

PS: if pages are meaningful in your final document, Writer is not the ideal tool because it manages a flow and allocates pages to accommodate this flow (though you can force-add extra pages). The best tool for presentations is Impress where pages are primary objects. They don’t overflow to next page and won’t create new pages automatically.

You can also use Draw which is also page-oriented, but more adapted to graphics contents (while Impress is at its best with text contents).