LibreOffice 24.2.0.2 running under Ubuntu 23.10

Version and build details below. I also have another PC with the same version, but with a Build ID beginning with “b”. That build has added functionality.
Version: 24.2.0.2 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: a8c9976b9f74750b38aab69bdb81f0722231d164
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 6.5; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

First question: How do I upgrade the “a” build to the “b” build. Please note that the “a” build was automatically upgraded to that build from the 7.6 build.

Second question: Who are the experts on 24.2.0.2 versions of LibreOffice. No one on the usual Ubuntu forums knows anything about them.

John

Are you sure? I doubt that Ubuntu would do that automatically because 24.2.0.2 is a release candidate, not a released version, unless you have some beta or pre-release channel PPA or such enabled. But I don’t know Ubuntu much. The Build ID is the latest commit hash on the branch from which the version was built, calling that “a” or “b” does not make sense and also does not indicate any order or that “b…” would be “more recent” than “a…” at all.

Check update options for your snaps. The snap for 24.2 is available at: Install libreoffice on Linux | Snap Store

But I don’t think it is default to update so early.

The same as before. It is just a new scheme for naming, instead of 7.7.0.2 And users of Ubuntu should be familiar with the year.month

Fwiw, there is no commit a8c9976b9f74750b38aab69bdb81f0722231d164 in the LibreOffice core repository. You’d have to ask the Ubuntu package maintainers what exactly they built and why it upgraded. (maybe it’s a snap even?).

And the Build ID starting with “b…”, what exactly is it?

I am positive that the upgrade went automatically on one of two PCs that I use for serious work. That PC is Dell Precision 7720 laptop. The other PC is a Lenovo M80, and I had to download it from LibreOffice, extract the “deb” file and install it. That is how I discovered the “b” version. No one on Ubuntu Forums knows anything about 7.6 let alone 24.2. I have also posted on snapscraft.io . No one seems to know what is going on. I am not an IT pro.

Also, calc files will open from writer, but not show the calc icon.

John

Please do not use the Answer or Suggest a solution field for comments that are not an answer to the original question / solution to the problem, use the Comment bubble instead. Thanks.

feel free to cross post :wink:
https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/libreoffice/2023-May/090403.html

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/24.2

Please forgive posting in wrong location on this forum. Below relates to java and LanguageTool extension that just started when LibreOffice upgraded itself.

Version: 24.2.1.1 (X86_64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 15ef5d8c4e19091ee2fab7577bf0884a1331c6f8
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 6.5; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Trying to get LanguageTool to work:
“Could not create Java implementation loader at /build/libreoffice/parts/libreoffice/build/stoc/source/javaloader/javaloader/javaloader.cxx:533”

Please learn to ask a new question (with a fitting title) for new topics instead of appending to another unrelated question.
Your problem may be related to the often found idea to avoid java by linux maintainers like in this older case