LibreOffice 24.2 linux hangs on splash screen (April 2024)

LibreOffice 24.2.1 was working perfectly (Xubuntu Linux 22.04 LTS) yesterday. This morning I upgraded to 24.2.2 (I’ve not added or removed any other software or made any other changes to my system) and it did nothing other than hang on the splash screen. I tried restarting several times, and loading calc and writer in different ways, all with the same result.
I then downgraded back to 24.2.1 and it too now just hangs at the splash screen, despite several restarts.
I’ve tried googling, but all I get is problems with versions 5.x for Windows or which start by assuming I can get beyond the splash screen to do things like look in the menus, which I obviously can’t.

Try from command line, to see if something is logged.
Then try in Safe Mode

Just before seeing @fpy’s suggestion, I tried installing 7.6.5. Loading that took me to a document recovery screen that had loaded behind other windows on a different screen (I have 3) on a different virtual desktop (I have 8), with no entry in the task bar other means of knowing it existed. Once I cleared that, both 24.2.1 and 7.6.5 loaded.