libreoffice 6.3 does not launch in Ubuntu 19.04

hello,

the spell check of writer stopped showing so I had the bad idea of removing libreoffice and install it anew. This problem came after upgrading from ubuntu 18 to 19.04. I used sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice* and then istalled from apt, or from the libreoffice website or the software manager. In all cases, LO is installed but it fails to be launched. I removed ~/.config/libreoffice as suggested bu tstill nothing.

I tried to launch form the terminal:

$ libreoffice --writer ~/Downloads/file.rtf 
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libmergedlo.so: undefined symbol: _ZN11LanguageTagD1Ev

What would be the problem and how to fix it?

thank you

Edit [Opaque] Changed title to show correct version the question is about.

Do you really mean LibreOffice 3.3 from 2011?

Does it start without any module and file option - just calling libreoffice and please provide which libreoffice. Installation directories differ pretty much for the various packages (LibreOffice from TDF installs to /opt, while LibreOffice from Ubuntu repositories install to /usr/lib/ and you may have some mess up.

See also: Undefined symbol: _ZN11LanguageTagC1ERKS_

Sorry, I meant 6.3.

$ libreoffice
/usr/lib/libreoffice/program/soffice.bin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libreoffice/program/libmergedlo.so: undefined symbol: _ZN11LanguageTagD1Ev
$ which libreoffice
/usr/bin/libreoffice

yepp ( @mikekaganski ), don’t fully trust sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice and remove anything beneath /usr/lib/libreoffie/ afterwards. Then reinstall.

Likely, there was version 19.10 already available, so I upgraded from 19.04 to 19.10 and it is working thus far. Hopefully, there will be another time because I am not going to uninstall it again. Thank you

For the records (Summary)

1. Old LibreOffice installation messed up for unknown reason
  2. Upgrade of operating system fixes the issue.