libreoffice 6.4 does not open in Windows 10

I have reinstalled it and restarted the computer. I click the LO icon or an *.odt document and nothing happens.

Hello -

Step1- Test user profile causing the issue

• Right click -> Run on Windows Start menu (or Windows Key + R)
  • Type "%ProgramFiles%\LibreOffice\program\soffice" --safe-mode into Open text field (including the double quotes)
  • Click OK
  • Optional: Archive your profile expanding Advanced (click on the word Advanced right above Help button) and click Archive User Profile button
  • Click button Continue in Safe Mode

If that starts LibreOffice most probably your user profile is corrupt and proceed to

Step2- Reset your LibreOffice user profile

To reset the user profile perform:

• Right click -> Run on Windows Start menu
  • Type "%ProgramFiles%\LibreOffice\program\soffice" --safe-mode into Open text field (including the double quotes)
  • Archive your profile expanding Advanced (click on the word Advanced right above Help button) and click Archive User Profile button
  • Select option Reset to factory settings
  • Activate [x] Reset entire user profile
  • Click button Apply Changes and Restart

Hope that helps.

I had already found these instructions. Copying that string into the Open text field gives me a momentary black box and nothing further. I’m running Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Processor is AMD A909429 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTER CORES 2C+3G. The program stopped running so I reinstalled it. I am currently downloading an earlier version of LibreOffice.

Sigh …

The older version I had had stopped opening, which is why I downloaded 4.4. I uninstalled it, reloaded the most recent verified version from the LO site, and it has opened since. My guess is that this is a pretty common problem, and while I appreciate the "sigh . . . " (I’ve done it myself) I wonder how to suggest to whoever’s maintaining the program that it be attended to. I would also suggest that it’s not trivial that pasting the suggested string into the “Run” box simply did not work.

The “Sigh…” is because you you did not mention your actions already taken, let users provide an answer (which proved to work in the past) and then stated that you already did that in advance. That’s what I personally absolutely don’t appreciate, since it is wasting my (and your) time.

I’m sorry. I didn’t list a half dozen other things I tried – I had not expected that I was engaging with a human being, nor that a long message (which would have become a rant) was going to do a bit of good. And I still wonder about the advice from you and from the data base, which in neither case matched what the OS on this machine seems to expect. I appreciate your attention, but your presence is a bit, um, opaque. Is there a better way to test the user profile?