LibreOffice 7.0.2 update for Ubuntu 20.04 wants to remove OpenOffice. Why? How can I keep both?

After LibreOffice and OpenOffice have been peacefully living together for quite some time on my laptop, the latest LibreOffice 7.0.2 update for Ubuntu 20.04 (focal) that just came up from http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu suddenly says it would need to remove all OpenOffice packages, forcing me to block LibreOffice updates for the time being.

Why is this suddenly happening? And is there an easy way to get around it, so I can keep both?

You need to ask Ubuntu PPA maintainers, why they introduced a dependency to openoffice. It is not inherent to LibreOffice (I got LibreOffice 7.0.2 still coexisting with OpenOffice 4.1.7 on my openSUSE 15.2 system, using native packages from libreoffice.org and openoffice.org and not using any distribution specific LibreOffice / OpenOffice packages). Technically I don’t see any reason for this besides special dependency-requirements of Ubuntu’s packaging (which is far beyond my knowledge).

Thanks, that sounds plausible!

I’ve yet to get a response from the PPA maintainers, but can you or someone else confirm that coxistence is no problem for Ubuntu, either? From Install OpenOffice on Ubuntu 20.04 – Linux Hint and other sources it seems there is a problem, and that my working installation of both might even have been an outlier?

Hello, just installled OpenOffice 4.1.7 (packages from openoffice.org) and LibreOffice 7.0.2 (packages from libreoffice.org) on an Ubuntu 20.04 test system and both applications work (even at the same time). However: This is not a statement about PPA version of 7.0.2 could be run simultaneously with OpenOffice 4.1.7 and it of course, no statement about unknown side effects, which I never noticed.

Hello,

you could use the portable version of libreoffice
instead of the one provided by your distribution.

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/

Hope that helps.

Thanks, but those PortableApps are Windows only…

Although I prefer, if possible, “native” packages which get their updates through the operating system’s standard update routine and also tend to load faster, I might indeed try that if I don’t find another solution. AppImage support is already in my Linux distribution anyway (Linux Mint 20, based on Ubuntu 20.04)…