LibreOffice 7.0.4.2: Writer: unable to set header/footer to start on 2nd page

I am using LibreOffice 7.0.4.2: Writer.
I have a document with 5 pages.
I want to set the first page as a title page, with no header and no page count.
I want the 2nd page subsequent pages to have a header and a page count.

There appears to be no easy or obvious way of doing this.
Step by step instructions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

It is very easy on the contrary. Read the Writer Guide and learn how to use styles.

Headers and footers are attributes of page styles. Consequently you must force a change of page style to achieve your goal. Built-in page styles are available in the style side pane (F11 is not already visible) after clicking on the fourth icon from the left in the toolbar.

Put the cursor in your title page. Double click on First Page. This style automatically switches to Default Page Style at end of page (which can be forced with a page break Ctrl+Enter).

The first page is now formatted First Page and all the following Default Page Style. Configure your first page for no header nor footer.

Go to any page 2+. Configure your header: click in its area, type the header and Insert>Field>Page Number or >Page Count.

EDIT

To have page numbered from 1 after the title page, change the page break used to leave the cover page. Erase it and replace it with Insert>More Breaks>Manual Break. This opens a dialog allowing to tune the page break. In the Page Style drop-down menu, select Default Page Style. Tick the Change page number check box and set the new starting page number in the entry box.

This will be reflected in Page Number field.

Caution! the Page Count field returns the total number of pages of the document; it is not the same as the page number.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.

This helps somewhat - thank you! - and I now have a title page. However, the header for the page 2 in the document needs to be identified as page 1 in the header - currently I have the header to use page count. Is there any way of changing the header to start the page count at 1 rather than the actual page count in the document?

And thank you for the 2nd reply on the page count. However - as your reply shows - unfortunately it is simply not intuitive to make what should be a simple r.click exercise to set page count “from”. Something for the developers to consider for a future release :wink:

Beware of what you call “intuitive”. Often “intuition” is used as a replacement for “routine” or “habit”. Contrary to first impression, Writer is very complex app allowing very sophisticated formatted, bridging partially the gap wit desktop publishing. It is however based on very sound principles, styles. Once you accept this and set your own collection of styles to fit tightly the type of document you’re writing (this may imply you have several collection of styles stored in various templates for your various documents: letter, article, novel, …), things become very simple because you only apply styles and no longer Ctrl+something or right-click+something.

The most difficult in an application like Writer is to make it accessible both to beginners doing manual formatting and power users automating their work with styles. First results with Writer should encourage to discover the real features and make progress in usage.

Thank you for your kind comments. I would counter by suggesting to beware of statements such as “It is very easy on the contrary” when - as this thread indicates - it is not :slight_smile: And thank you for your help again!