LibreOffice 7.0 runs slow

I’ve been running LibO for years without problems. LibO 7.0, though, seems to run super slow compared to all of the predecessors. It’s a bit slow to start, but the real slowdown is in the dialog boxes, which take 10 to 20 seconds each to open. These same dialog boxes open in LibO 6 in a couple of seconds or less on the same computers. I’ve noticed this on all of our Windows 10 machines (all running 64-bit) and on Linux Mint Cinnamon (19). It happens in Writer, Calc, and Base. (I’m not sure about Impress, since I don’t really use it.)

Does anyone know what causes this (is it a bug, or something that has been changed in terms of resource allocation), and is there a fix or workaround? It REALLY slows down my workflow.

dialog boxes, which take 10 to 20 seconds each to open.

Can’t confirm this on any of my 7.0.3 boxes, which include various Linux distibutions (openSUSE, Fedora, Ubuntu, MINT,…), WIndows 10 and macOS Big Sur.

Running Linux-Mint 20.4 shows similar behavior.
It’s even worse, Drawing is so slow that it makes LO-Draw mainly unusable.
Drawing a line takes up to 20sec before it settles, the same when moving something.
I already increased the the memory usage but nothing helps.

Hi,

I seem to have solved (touch wood) the issue.
Uninstalled LO 7 and cleaned everything (cash stuff) that LO left on the Linux system (Copied the configuration and user setting directory to a different name).
Shutdown and restart the machine to be sure nothing’s left in memory.

Reinstalled LO 7.

• sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
  • sudo apt update
  • sudo apt full-upgrade (some packages were add and other marked as ‘to be removed’
  • sudo apt autoremove
  • sudo apt install libreoffice
  • sudo apt install libreoffice-gtk2
  • sudo apt install libreoffice-style-sukapura (style for icons and other stuff)

Compared and reinstalled configuration settings, templates, graphics, galleries from the previous and saved settings.

Start LO

Go to: [Tools] [Options] {advanced] [Open Expert Configuration] [org.openoffice.Office.Common] [Cache]
[GraphicsManager]

Changed the values for:

• GraphicsAllowedIdleTime → 10
  • ObjectReleaseTime ----> 200
  • OjectCacheSize —> 31457280
  • TotalCacheSize ----> 524288000
  • GraphicMemoryLimit ----> 838860800

Gave the tool thus plenty of memory.

Since then, the tool works at speed.
dragging an object doesn’t take seconds anymore, the object follows nicely the cursor.