LibreOffice_7.1.1_Linux_x86-64_deb won't install on Ubuntu 20.10

I followed instructions given on download website. When I do sudo dpkg - i *.deb, it starts out with WARNING dropbox package missing (or something to that effect). dpkg goes to completion without errors, but software not updated.

What should I do?

Thank you

John

but software not updated.

This sounds you mixed repositories (never do that). Installing .deb packages from download website and using dpkg - i *.deb installs that version into /opt and does not affect LibreOffice installed from Ubuntu base repositories. Most probably you have 2 LibreOffice versions installed now: The old release (most probably called by libreoffice in a terminal) and the new one called by libreoffice7.1 in a terminal. If that’s the case - let us know and we’ll find out what’s the best way for you to go.

PS:

WARNING dropbox package

This probably got nothing to do wit LibreOffice installation

Hello,

from my perspective (based on my comment) your required actions are

Decision

As a prerequisite to follow-up procedures - decide whether you want to use

[1] Latest LibreOffice packages from TDF (Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft)

[2] Latest LibreOffice packages from Ubuntu, delivered by Ubuntu maintainers (Ubuntu Launchpad LibreOffice PPA) (as of today this PPA delivers version 7.1.1.2 and most people would recommend this way to go)

Clean Up

To create a clean base for subsequent installation, cleanup up your mixed installation using the following procedure:

• dpkg --list | awk '/ii/&&/libreoffice/||/libobasis/{print $2}' | sudo xargs apt purge -yes
  • sudo apt autoremove --yes

(Re-) Installation

With respect to your decision above, select one (and only one) of the following procedures:

Decision [1]:

Repeat step:

• sudo dpkg - i *.deb

Decision [2]:

Perform:

• sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa --yes
  • sudo apt update --yes
  • sudo apt install libreoffice libreoffice-help-en-us

Hope that helps.

@Astur

The title of the question mentions Ubuntu 20.10 and this is a Q&A site and not “deliver-a-handbook-covering-all-use-cases” site. Thanks…

Thank you to all who replied to my question

Here is what happened. Previous upgrades to LibreOffice appeared to put the upgraded version in place of the version to be upgraded. The upgrade to 7.1.1 did not do that. I only uncovered that I had two versions of LibreOffice running is when I i clicked on an pptx file shown in a folder (Nemo) and it opened under Impress 7.1. I then checked Synaptic and found that I had both 7.0 and 7.1 loaded. I then removed the 7.0 version using Synaptic. Future upgrades should specify clearly if the upgrade is going to replace the existing software or install the upgrade along with the existing software.

John

The upgrade to 7.1.1 did not do that … The upgrade to 7.1.1 did not do that

If that happens you mixed repositories.

• TDF packages replace TDF packages
  • Snap packages replace snap package
  • PPA/Ubuntu packages replace PPA/Ubuntu packages

But installing a TDF package never replaces a PPA or Snap package.