Libreoffice 7.1 Writer: Distributing Drawing Objects

I am trying to evenly distribute objects that I have drawn in a Writer document. The Help says:

1. Select three or more objects to be distributed.
  2. Choose Shape - Distribution.
  3. Select the horizontal and vertical distribution option and click OK.

However, when I right-click the selection, the context menu has no item called “Shape”, and there does not appear to be any other way to perform the distribution function, although I thought there was in previous versions (I may be mistaken about this).

In the help I find the function “Distribution” only under Draw. (with me V 7.1.1.2)

The drawing tools in Writer offer only a reduced capability compared to those in Draw. Then design your objects in Draw.

If they are supposed to form a unique global drawing, arrange them in Draw, group them and copy/paste the group into Writer.

If the objects are rather “individual”, meaning you can paste several instances of them in various locations in Writer, paste them one by one and customise the frame associated to each object to offset the position. It is possible to somehow to achieve a semi-automatic placement by carefully setting the same position parameters and unchecking Allow overlap.

It seem not possible in Writer:

Choose Shape - Distribute Selection (LibreOffice Draw).

Open context menu - choose Distribute Selection (LibreOffice Impress).

Source: Distribute

there was in previous versions

Which ones?

Tested with LibreOffice 6.4.7.2/7.1.0.3 (x86); OS: Windows 6.1.

Add Answer is reserved for solutions. If you think the answer is not satisfactory, add a comment below, or click edit (below your question) to add more information. Thanks.

Thank you LeroyG (and also ebot, for the comment). I must have been mistaken in thinking I could do distribution with past versions of Writer. However, it would be a good feature to add – it seems strange that I can align objects in Writer, but I cannot distribute them. I know I can use Draw, but it’s a bit inconvenient to have to use two applications to create a single document with a simple drawing in it.

@sinrig, but if you think about the main tasks of the modules Writer and Draw, it is inevitable that one module is not unnecessarily bloated with functions that another module can easily do.

Sorry, this is my opinion.