Libreoffice 7 slow when Network is active

Hello,

I noticed that LO 7.2.2 is very slow when starting or working with Diagrams in Calc. There may be more cases but I didn’t test anything else yet.
The strange behaviour I saw is that While waiting for LO interaction there is Data sent over my network connection by LO.
When I turn off my network connection everything runs smooth again.

Why is LO sending data and what kind of data is being sent?

I don’t recall giving LO permission to send any data.
So where can I turn off that Libreoffice send data over the internet?

I’m running Ubuntu 20.10.

Probably it is asking your printer for information. Look at your settings

• in Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Print and try unticking Paper Size and Orientation.
  • in Tools > Options > LibreOffice Calc > General and try
    • unticking Use printer metrics for text formatting
    • check your Update links when opening setting while you are there

You would have been asked during initial installation if you want to send usage data to document foundation, you can turn that off or on. In Tools > Options > LibreOffice > General under Help improve LibreOffice you can untick or tick one or both boxes

@EarnestAl for information LO is installed on ubuntu by default and use printer metrics is unchecked

Similarly, unchecked in Help Improve LO
There may be other settings active in ubuntu itself for canonical purposes worth exploring (perhaps on Newest Questions - Ask Ubuntu)

Unfortunately all the provided solutions didn’t help.
After further investigations it looks like libreoffice calc is contacting my cloud. I haven’t told libreoffice to do so. So this behaviour is very strange. What does LO have to do with my cloud? Especially on action like selecting a diagram…
Right now, LO is unusable. On almost every action it triggers some internet traffic which leads to about 10 seconds of freezing. That is very frustrating.

May it simply be your spreadsheet data and/or diagram (Chart?) is assembled from external references or links to documents or web access or …?

Is it slow in safe mode, Help - Restart in safe mode - Continue in safe mode?

It might indicate some problem in your user profile

1 Like

Seems to be back to normal operating speed in safe mode. I guess i have to reset my user profile then. Looks like it got corrupted after the update to 7.x

I reset the user profiles of all users on my laptop and it is fast again now, without any internet traffic. Many thanks for your help.

Ctrl+A (select all)
Backspace (delete contents)
Uncheck everything except “Objects”
[OK]

Didn’t have to do anything with the content. Even starting LO was slow.

I thought so because of the Calc tag. Could it be that it tries to find some (bookmarked?) net drive or a network printer that is unavaillable?