LibreOffice brings other document window to front when hovering over it (Mac)

Recently LibreOffice started to behave very annoyingly when I have multiple documents open. When moving my mouse over a window with another document, LO suddenly makes that the front most window. Not my intention at all, and a severe hindrance. Is there a way to prevent this?

I’m using the latest 7.5.1.2 AARCH64 version on an M2 Mac running MacOS 13.2.1. This behaviour is fairly recent (don’t know the exact version when I started noticing this) and is also present on an Intel Mac.

1 Like

This has nothing to do with this particular application. It might happen with any window of any other application too. It might be a setting in your MacOS settings. I know that similar options exist for my Linux desktop.

Hmm, LibreOffice is the only application that does this, so it IS specific to the application. Furthermore, MacOS does not have a setting for “focus follows mouse” (and if it did, it would again do so for all applications, not just LibreOffice).

3 Likes

Sorry, I’m out then. I never used a Mac.

Appreciate you trying nevertheless!

I have exactly the same problem on Mac. It’s only happening on LibreOffice documents. Even if I am working with something else and have a document open it may happen that I pass over the document with the pointer and the LibreOffice document becomes active in front of all other windows.
I noticed that it may be related to buttons on LibreOffice which display a short explainer text of what it it. That text makes the window active. Hope there is a solution for this soon as it is incredibly annoying.

1 Like

If it’s annoying and not a defined behaviour in your desktop environment then please file a bug.
And report the bug number back here in the form tdf#123456
Thanks.

I filed bug report tdf#154046 for this.

4 Likes

Ah, was resolved as duplicate of tdf#152173 but thanks anyway!

Thanks for keeping this bug active ( #152173 )- this behavior is very annoying and I look forward to a resolution.

1 Like

Issue resolved by version 7.5.4.

https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=152173

1 Like

I have the exact same problem (and we are now in February 2024), also with Macbook Air M2 (Sonoma 14.2.1) and Libre Office (v. 7.5.5.2). It’s driving me bonkers. Did anyone find a solution to this problem? Thanks.

I had this issue in an earlier 7.x version 7.1.0.3, then upgraded and cannot reproduce it in 7.6.2.1 or 7.6.5.2. I also can’t reproduce it in 7.5.5.2 on OSX Ventura 13.6.3. Appears to be fixed.

Thanks Andy, I’m glad it’s fixed for you. I am trying to upgrade from 7.6.4, my last working version, to 24.2.1 which appears to be the last upgrade. Once I manage that (I have downloaded the .dmg but it doesn’t want to install), I hope the new version will solve this issue. All the best.

This is not a solution to the problem. To avoid confusing other users looking for a solution, repost as a comment and delete your non-answer. Thanks.

Thanks ajlittoz, how do I delete my ‘non answer’? I can’t see a delete button. All the best.

This is not a solution, but I have the exact same problem, also with Macbook Air M2 (Sonoma 14.2.1) and Libre Office (v. 7.5.5.2). It’s driving me bonkers. Did anyone find a solution to this problem? Thanks. PS. My apologies, I couldn’t find a way to add to tthe above discussion.

Use the Reply or Comment bubble instead.

Thank you, I found the comment bubble and acted on it. Hopefully someone can direct me to a solution.