LibreOffice crashes daily

I have used OpenOffice for years with no problem. In the last year or so it crashed almost daily. Resetting the user profile fixed it, but then in a day or two it crashed again. I was told LibreOffice would not have that problem, so I switched to it. But LibreOffice is doing the same thing. Every time this happens I lose all my unsaved work (I usually have several text documents and spreadsheets open), and I must rebuild my user profile anew. My user profile is complicated and takes me almost an hour to re-enter it all in a new user profile.

This problem makes both programs unusable for me, and it seems my only option is to buy Microsoft Office.

I am using LibreOffice 7.1.0.3 on Windows 10 Home version 2004. I have no third party anti-virus. Controlled folder access is off. I am using Safe Mode now, but Safe Mode does not access my user profile. Safe Mode restart in “last known working condition” did not fix the problem.

Thanks

Thanks

How old is your hardware, and specifically your hard drive?

Have you installed extensions and if which? Do you have the problem also if you have installed no extension at all? If so, then try to add one by one, to see when the error occurs.

I am using LibreOffice 7.1.0.3 on Windows 10 Home version 2004.

And why do you use a version, which is definitely not for you? Use 7.0.4 and what does My user profile is complicated and takes me almost an hour to re-enter it all in a new user profile mean - my gut tells me, you are doing too much of a good thing? And if it is required to be as complicated as it is - why don’t you create a backup of the working user profile once it has been created and restore that backup copy, after being forced to reset your profile, in some seconds?

My computer is 3 years old and has it’s original hard drive. I have installed no extensions to OpenOffice or LibreOffice. I am slow on the computer, resetting my user profile takes me about 10 minutes for fonts, numbering system, etc., and about 45 minutes to rebuild my custom color palette from scratch.

The forum instructions I have received about how to reset my user profile are to change the name “user” to “userold”, and let a new default profile take over automatically. I never thought of creating a backup for it. So I imagine I should do the “userold” step above, let a new profile be created, customize it for fonts etc. and custom color palette, and immediately copy this fresh user profile to a backup location. Then if/when my user profile becomes corrupted, I just replace it with a copy of the backup. Correct?

Thanks to all

P.S. I have changed to version 7.0.4

Sounds good at first but doesn’t explain the daily crash

The forum instructions I have received about how to reset my user profile are to change the name
“user” to “userold”,

That’s no longer the way how to do it - check Help -> Restart in Safe Mode and the option presented in the dialog appearing - which includes a back creation as well (though I’d prefer to store a copy of the user profile on some other directory)

> Then if/when my user profile becomes corrupted, I just replace it with a copy of the backup. Correct?

Correct - that’s how I would do it.