LibreOffice Crashes if Video Card Changed

I replaced my video card yesterday. Everything worked fine including Lightroom and Photoshop. However, when I opened LibreOffice, both of my screens when black. It took me a while to be able to get any response and when I was able to launch Windows Task Manager, the GPU was not showing as a resource.

I rebooted and found LibreOffice errors next to NVidia errors in the Windows Event Viewer.

I Googled LibreOffice use of Video Cards and found references to Skia. So, figuring it could be a GPU incompatibility in my current build, I ran ‘repair’ on LibreOffice and that fixed the problem.

I know this is an obscure problem but would suggest if there are resource checks performed when LibreOffice starts, checking to see if the GPU has changed should maybe be added.

This is a user to user site.

You can report it as a bug or enhancement, How to Report Bugs in LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

1 Like

Thanks. Submitted bug report https://bugs.documentfoundation.org/show_bug.cgi?id=151929

Thank you, I was having this problem and I solved it

Now I want to update, may I ask, is it faulty.

@adamvyy Is what faulty? If you have resolved the issue with the video card then the settings will be carried over to the new version.

From what I could see from the bug report the original questioner’s video card, nVidia GTX 670, will be added to the Vulkan denylist as it doesn’t fully support it.

Not all video cards can handle extra work; in those cases, in Tools > Options > View, unticking Use Skia for all rendering should solve the issue, see First steps to take before submitting a bug - The Document Foundation Wiki. Note that in the event of of not starting due to Skia you could also start in Safe mode, tick the checkbox to disable hardware acceleration, apply changes and restart. Then untick the checkbox on first start.

It might be that changing the video card for one with the same support or lack of support as previous card for Vulkan/Skia, or for one on the denylist, would be without problems.

The bug report is technical. In the end I was replacing one old video card for another old video card. Not a normal practice.

Bottom line is that after replacing a video card, and you experience problems with LO, running repair may fix the problem. I haven’t checked to see what the requirements are for a video card and/or if those LO has problems with are listed. Again, I was dealing with old tech.

Your question has nothing to do with the database component of LO, Base. Please replace this tag with another one. common should be good as the issue is “common” to all components, Writer, Calc, Draw, Impress, Math and … Base. Add also videocard and perhaps hardware. The issue may be specific to windows too, so windows?

I’m currently accessing this forum from an iPad and can’t see how to change tags. Will review when I’m back on my desktop.

@DS256 sorry I should have addressed my comment to adamvyy. The bug report made it clear that you understood the situation. Cheers, Al