Libreoffice does not start

Libreoffice stopped working on Ubuntu20.04.

When I try to start libreoffice, e.g. with the command line: libreoffice, app does not launch and returns the cryptic error message:

“Application Error”

I have completely purged Libreoffice, and re-installed (several times). The problem still persists. Version used: LibreOffice 7.0.4.2 Same happens with LibreOffice 6.4.7.2.

Anyone can help?

The logfile for strace libreoffice7.0 --writer appears here:

https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/djtJFvR2rj/

From the strace file, I need to assume you installed LibreOffice from TDF (libreoffice.org) because it uses /opt directory. Please try the following on the command line:

/opt/libreoffice7.0/program/soffice --safe-mode (if you have installed 7.0.4.2 now) or
/opt/libreoffice6.4/program/soffice --safe-mode (if you have installed 6.4.7.2. now)

Does this work?

**Please also note** If a problem is caused by a corrupt user profile, reinstalling LibreOffice won't help at all, since this won't touch the user profile. Therefore: Before reinstalling check whether the user profile might be the cause of a problem.
  • Start LibreOffice
  • Restart in Safe Mode using Help → Restart in Safe Mode and confirm the restart using button: Restart
  • Click button Continue in Safe Mode
  • Perform the procedure showing the problem and check whether the problem is gone (If you need to open a file, use File → Open - do not use some other procedure)

Thanks. opt/libreoffice7.0/program/soffice --safe-mode
also returns “application error”.

I cannot start libreoffice at all.

And the same happens in all users in my laptop. So i presume likely not related to user profile?

So i presume likely not related to user profile?

Agree with this.

Another question. Did you execute sudo apt autoremove --yes after having purged initial install of LibreOffice and before you have installed TDF packages?

Couly you please provide permissions on file /tmp/OSL_PIPE_1000_SingleOfficeIPC_f843574fa64361bd7ba7d3fffbb3823a (you may want to delete that file, if LibreOffice is not running). Have you changed permissions of /tmp to something else than 777?

Just could reproduce the error using:

user@system:/$ sudo chmod 755 /tmp
user@system:/$ libreoffice7.0
Application Error

Please provide `ls -l / | grep tmp` - I assume users got no write access to `/tmp`

Please provide ls -l / | grep tmp - I assume users got no write access to /tmp

Thanks. Command yields.
drwxrwxrwx 34 root root 4096 Jan 30 14:13 tmp

All users have permission to read and write in /tmp.
And I also deleted /tmp/OSL_PIPE_1000_SingleOfficeIPC_f843574fa64361bd7ba7d3fffbb3823a and used sudo chmod 777 /tmp

Still not working