Libreoffice downloads to Mac OS as a '.crdownload', not .dmg, and file type shows up as a word document

When downloading, it shows up in download folder not as a dmg file, but as an unconfirmed ‘crdownload’, and file type shows up as a Word document.

When I press on it to install, it opens Word, starts Converting/Processing then comes up with error message:

"Word experienced an error trying to open this file. Try these suggestions.

• Check the file permissions for the document or drive.

• Make sure the there is sufficient free memory and disk space (before I downloaded the LO, I had 4.5 GB free space)

• Open the file with Text Recovery converter. (unconfirmed 115488.crdownload)

Can someone help??

Where are you downloading from? Go to Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free and private office suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft and select the correct Mac version, Apple Silicon or Intel.

Info shows them as .dmg. Click on info link to to get proper hash for download to check it is complete.

Are you perhaps using Chrome as a browser? .crdownload seems to be an incomplete download file created by Chromium based browsers.

3 Likes

Crdownload is a file created by Chrome when downloading. If download is successful without errors, the file gets automatically renamed to the correct file name. As this hasn’t happened in your case, the download must be incomplete in some way. You might try downloading with a different browser.