LibreOffice Draw. Lines sometime wont' go around objects but just go straight through them.

Then using a line to connect two objects that are separated by another object, because of location, sometimes the line requires up to 5 directions to get around various objects. Some achieve this OK, but others for some reason will only have 3 directions and cut through another object on the way to two connection points. I can’t force it do so anything else. Some directions of that particular line don’t have a handle to be able to move or adjust it. Can I add a handle to a particular direction of a line that currently doesn’t have one, to be able to move the line around an object better. OR can I add a 3rd or 4th direction to a line, ie. making a 3 direction line now have four or five, so I can force the line to go around an object?
I’m a bit stumped on this one, as some of my lines will just create 4 or 5 directions to get around an object without any problems. Then I can copy that same line to connect two more points and it just makes a 3 direction line and cuts through an object.
Help needed please.
Many thanks for you assistance.

1 Like

The choice between 3 and 5 segments for connectors depends on the choice of the glue points (e.g. you need 5 segments if you exits North from a shape to enter South in a shape located below). In simple case, you have 3 segments (e.g. you exit East to enter West into a shape located at right). Example where I intentionally use an arrow connector:

step1

I have a conflict there (3 segment case), no matter how I tweak the intermediate point.

The important argument to solve the case is to realise that a connector is nothing but just another shape with its own glue points. Consequently, I disconnect the connector and put its end outside the conflict area:

setp2

I then add another connector linked the first one and the target shape:

step3

The remaining conflict can be fixed by moving the handle outside the intermediate shape. Also having two arrows in a row is not aesthetic. I right-click on the first connector and Line to remove the end arrow (when you build multiconnector line, you use standard connector from the start; here it was only to show the possibilities). The result is:

step4

You are not limited to 2 connectors. You can chain any number you need/like.

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

1 Like

Excellent thanks. How do you connect the end of one line, with the start of another so that they stay glued together when you move either one?

1 Like

Any ideas on the above question. They seem to disconnect when I move either one.