Libreoffice failed to save database entries

I’m a Mac user and I have a database file on iCloud, for which I’ve created a series of tables supporting data entry onto a main table via a form. I’m using Libreoffice version on a Macbook Pro using MacOS 10.14.6.

I’ve just spent the last two days entering loads of new entries onto the main table via the form. I’m very careful, so I frequently do a ctl-S and I also regularly come out of the form and run a general query to ensure the data has been saved onto the main table – which it apparently had. I saved and closed the database when I shut my system down this morning but have now accessed the file via a different wifi network at another location to discover that none of the last two days’ work has been saved. None of the tables affected have been updated at all. How can happen? And how can this be avoided?

Thanks, Opaque, for your comment. I don’t see why this would be an iCloud sync failure. Firstly, the other Libreoffice text files I saved and closed when I shut my system down have been saved okay. Secondly, I have autosave on, in addition to the manual saves I’ve been performing, so are you seriously suggesting that a failure to save only the database file over two days could be an iCloud issue?

Is it possible for you to check the state of the file at the original location? Are the updates intact there?

Is it possible that the file has been open from synchronized folders on multiple locations simultaneously, at the time when you entered your data?

Have you activated Content Caching? (At least for me the whole thing sounds like a caching issue - just my gut feeling)

You have not stated what database you are using and I have no experience directly with Mac or iCloud. Did do some testing with Google Drive and Dropbox 18-24 months ago on a Linux system with HSQLDB embedded DB to answer questions here.

Experienced various problems especially when working directly out of the synced folder. Best found to copy Base file to a local folder, perform necessary changes then copy back to synced folder. Except for certain performance issues (related to Google client software) problems were resolved.

One thing to know,is if the file save the introduced data properly when working in a computer driver, to make sure it is not an issue with the database design.

I seem to recall that “autosave” doesn’t work for ODB files, at least with embedded hsqldb ODB files, the reason being that all of the transactions are held in memory until you operate a CHECKPOINT SHUTDOWN command, which occurs only when you close the ODB file.

Giving an example with syncthing, if I edit an ODS or and embedded hsqldb ODB file, save it and keep it open, those changes aren’t reflected in the file accessible to another user until I close the file and the memory linked to that file is released by the system.