LibreOffice Help Insufficient Rights

Hi,

In LibreOffice (Writer, Impress), when clicking Help->LibreOffice Help, or push F1, a dialog pops up: “Object not accessible. The object cannot be accessed due to insufficient user rights.” When clicking OK to clear the pop-up, the help menu appears but it is unpopulated by any subjects.

Libreoffice version: 6.4.3.2
Build ID: 1:6.4.3-0ubuntu0.20.04.1
CPU threads: 16; OS: Linux 5.4; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US
Calc: CL

Thanks,
Tom

This is not a problem of permissions, but a messed initial install of LibreOffice on a fresh Ubuntu 20.04 installation. What you finally get, is the old, now unsupported, Help viewer of earlier releases of LibreOffice, which is deprecated and not working any more. Calling LibreOffice Help (F1) should open your default browser and not what you see.

Hello,

others could fix the problem using the following procedure.

Completely remove anything related to LibreOffice

• dpkg --list | awk '/ii/&&/libreoffice/{print $2}' | sudo xargs apt purge -y ure
  • sudo apt autoremove -y
  • sudo rm -r /usr/lib/libreoffice/*

Reinstall

• sudo apt install libreoffice libreoffice-help-en-us

May be this will help you as well.

Hi Opaque,

Thanks for the explanation. I think I will pass on this as it’s not that big of a deal, thought it was a bug that needed addressing (I still do actually). The install came with the distro (POP_OS!) so maybe it’s on their end?

Tom

It’s an Ubuntu issue - and if POP_OS! is based on Ubuntu (which I took from your About info), then it is the problem Ubuntu LibreOffice packagers - but I’d assume they are aware of that in the meantime.

Anyway, I strongly recommend to perform the procedure, since there are several other reports on problematic behavior (PDF export problems, Graphcis problems (linpng) …)