Libreoffice no longer accessible after windows10 update

Dear all,

After updating WINDOWS10, my LibreOffice suite no longer works.

The software is still there, the app is still visible in the apps list, but when I want to open a document for example, nothing happens. The LibreOffice icon is no longer visible in the status bar either.

Have any of you had the same experience as I?

With kind regards,

Victor Carton

1. Can you open LibreOffice from the start menu and create a new document? If not, then go to Control Panel - Programs and Features, right click LibreOffice and select Repair
  2. Can you save the new document to the Documents folder? If not, then you need to add soffice.bin to the Allowed list for your anti virus. See Defender Controlled folder access exception for LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki for a bit more info
  3. Can you open an existing document from within LibreOffice, File - Open?
  4. If you double click a LibreOffice file from within file explorer does it open in another program or ask for you to say which program it should open in? See Change default programs in Windows - Microsoft Support

Dear EarnestAI,

The answer to all of the 4 questions is NO.

So, at the advice of an IT-expert, I removed LibreOffice from my PC, downloaded the latest, stable version and now LibreOffice is working again.

Sadly, this is not the first time that the office suite no longer worked after a Windows10 update.

So I still wonder whether this is to do with Kaspersky Standard installed on my PC, or with the operating system: Windows10.

As I use Kaspersky Standard, I have disabled Windows Defender.

Have you, or any of your fellow experts, ever heard of or come across this issue?

And the suggested fixes didn’t work? In particular, number 2. See Kaspersky help Manage applications

You need to add LibreOffice main module C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\soffice.bin to the Allowed list

1 Like

Dear Earnest AI,

Thanks for your useful advice.

I checked the status of LibreOffice, and Kaspersky indicates that it is a trusted app.

I suggest we leave it here.

The quickest time-saving solution to date is to remove LibreOffice from my PC and re-install it.

All in all this ‘solution’ takes about 7 minutes.