Libreoffice not loading - Kbuntu 22.04 LTS

I can not launch libreoffice on my Kubuntu 22.04 LTS

• system is updated
  • will not launch from the menu
  • will not launch from the command line - I enter libreoffice, hit enter, and it immediately returns to the $prompt
  • reinstalled using APT
  • installed with SNAP with and without the APT version
  • deleted ./config/libreoffice folder
  • in DMESG apparmor is “ALLOWED”

i cant think of what else to do, any suggestions?

I also tried LibreOffice-fresh.basic AppImage - still nothing and no feedback from launching via the command line.

pretty quiet user group :frowning:
It does work when I run sudo, so I did this:
sudo chmod +x /usr/bin/libreoffice
sudo chown -R bvt:bvt /usr/bin/libreoffice

but it still won’t launch with ‘bvt’ user, I could use libreoffice always as sudo, but is that wise?

Might be you won’t get feedback, because you tagged this thread with “base”. It is the database component for LibreOffice, has nothing to do with your special installation problem of LibreOffice.

You could install LibreOffice directly with packages of LO, but you have chosen the installation of your Linux distribution. So might be you get better help in a Kubuntu/Ubuntu group (or by changing the tag to “common” or “installation” or something else).

thank you Robert, i thought base meant base product

@bvt : Do you need help to get a user-installation working? I have installed here (rpm-system) more than 30 different versions of LO for testing, all installed without sudo-rights in my home folder. Works well.

if you have any suggestions that would be great. I’ve used LO for a long time on my several Linux machines, never a problem. When launching sudo i have a new LO, so I must of recently updated and will monitor the Kubunt/Ubuntu user groups. the following is a /var/log/syslog entry right after I tried launching it:
Mar 8 12:00:14 main kernel: [ 4294.227942] audit: type=1400 audit(1709917214.853:298): apparmor=“ALLOWED” operati
on=“file_perm” class=“file” profile=“libreoffice-oosplash” name="/tmp/OSL_PIPE_1000_SingleOfficeIPC_a59c290a6278e1
1dfcb0dc3951921" pid=27636 comm=“oosplash” requested_mask=“w” denied_mask=“w” fsuid=1000 ouid=1000

Version: 7.3.7.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 30(Build:2)
CPU threads: 24; OS: Linux 6.5; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.4
Calc: threaded

Have only tested a little bit with Ubuntu sometimes ago. So I couldn’t write anything about special Ubuntu package.
I would prefer following solution:
Download the 3 packages for *.deb from Download LibreOffice | LibreOffice - Free Office Suite - Based on OpenOffice - Compatible with Microsoft
Create a folder in you home directory for you user defined LO-version.
Unzip the 3 packages to this main folder.
Move all *.deb-files out of the subfolders into the main folder for your new installation.
Create a new folder “install” in this main folder.
Go to this folder “install” and start konsole.
Execute
for i in ../*.deb; do dpkg-deb -x $i . ; done
in folder “install”. It will look at the folder, where all *.deb-packages have been moved to. It will install LibreOffice in the folder “install”.
In “install” has been created a folder “opt” and in this folder a folder “libreoffice…”. In this folder search for /program/soffice and execute.
Might be it will be opened by a text editor. Have a look if it is executable.

Now you have installed a version of LibreOffice, which is independent from the Kubuntu version.

I’ll have to try that, but i only see one file to download. This the new version 24.2.1 is a much larger number (year-based?) than what I have, 7.3.7.2, Ubuntu’s repository nearly always lags any updates. When I download something like LibreOffice from the source, I look for a PPA so when i ‘apt update’ the PPA will fetch the newest update from the source rather than from the repository.

Are you a tester?

I’m the author of German Base Handbuch, which is source for the English Base Guide. So I test very much with different versions.

There is a main file for download - the program
There is a file for translation - you preferred language
There is a file for the help in your language.

If your preferred language is English you wont need the other files. LO will find help in www and language is included.
The new version is indeed named year-based: 24.2 this February, 24.8 will be the next main version.