LibreOffice restarted my computer, and forced an update (2nd occurrence)

The last time was 13 days ago:

This time, it updated itself from LO 7.2.6.2 to LO 7.2.7.2.
LibreOffice has gone rogue!

Are you a spammer?

No. I thought this was a one-time issue, but now I know it’s not.
BTW, I have made substantial contributions to LO:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:Acbaird

Have you installed some utility to keep your programs up to date? Maybe one that comes with a security suite?

AFAIK LibreOffice can’t automatically update itself on Windows

No, I don’t even let Windows update automatically. I’m a control freak.

You mentioned Norton in your previous post, I see they have just such a mis-service. Update your programs with Norton Software Updater

2 Likes

Interesting idea, but… no, I don’t use that.

Out of curiosity: what is the full data on LibreOffice’s Help|About?

Version: 7.2.7.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 8d71d29d553c0f7dcbfa38fbfda25ee34cce99a2
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 10.0 Build 19044; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

Looks legit. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Yeah. I’m pulling my hair out.

Again, LibreOffice can not update itself, it has no such functionality. It can only check whether an update is available, if enabled, which then needs to be downloaded and installed. If download and installation happen automatically on your system then something does that but not LibreOffice.
We had this discussion already in your previous topic.

1 Like

Sigh. I know we had this discussion before. But no matter how many times you folks tell me that LO can not update itself, it can, and does. At some future point, when your code checkers discover the malfunction, you’re all gonna go, “Ohhhhhh, so THAT’s what Al was talking about.” Until then, I’m just the crank who keeps messing up your discussion board. :wink:

A quick internet search shows there is a whole raft of free software updaters out there including Microsoft Package Manager. I would start by looking through Add and Remove Programs in Control Panel to investigate utility programs or ones that you don’t recognise. Also check out the PC manufacturers utility program to see if it updates third party programs.

Note that an automatic updater might be incorporated in a program that mainly does something else

If there ever was an automatic updater on my computer, I would have removed it long ago. As I mentioned before, I am a control freak. Not proud of it, but I am. :wink:
And I find it just a tiny bit odd that after the reboot, the only new thing that appears on my computer is an extra LO program icon, way up in the left corner of my desktop. It’s laughing at me, I know it. :wink:

@acbaird,
Yours is the only user [account] in this computer?
[edited later]

Yep.

Yours is the only user in this computer?

No matter how many times you repeat that nonsense, it does not.

1 Like

Indeed it cannot; I asked for full version info in the hope it would show some custom build with additional functionality (IDK; maybe someone makes such builds, maybe for Windows Store or something…)

But regardless: it would be interesting and constructive to learn what really does that, and why. There seem to be not a single report like this except this - users naturally would flood us with such reports if LibreOffice behaved like that. But what is that on OP system, which seem to target LO specifically? :confused:

Mike, I’m scratching my head, too.