LibreOffice stops responding leaving a zombie on Windows Server 2016

I am using LibreOffice on Windows Server 2016 with a windows service. I am using the command

"C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\soffice" -norestore -nofirststartwizard -headless -convert-to pdf %1 -outdir %var1%

It is hagning for a specific file and leaving a zombie process behind. After that office fails to convert any file.

The questions here: 1. What is LO version? 2. Can you share the specific file? 3. Can you file a bug report for that? (Ask site isn’t for bugs.)

1. LO Version: 6.1.3.2 (x64)
  2. The file contains some sensitive information of a client. If I edit it, rename it, it starts working. I know its important to share file. I will try to figure out a way. This file looks like need some userinteraction. Becaue when I try to convert it from cmd from ui with interactive user it always works. but if I try with some other user with runas by passing credentials it always fails. Please let me know it makes sense.
  3. I filed a bug on bugzilla already.

The cmd giving me error The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. after the process fails and I can see the zombie in task manager. The file in the task manager is soffice.bin

I filed a bug on bugzilla already.

Please don’t forget to mention tdf# for the bugs related to your questions :slight_smile:
Of course, we cannot do anything without a way to reproduce it.

By the way, I assume you are actually using the -- (double dashes) versions of the switches, not single-dashed?

Also, I have improved the way LO works with cmd.exe on Windows for 6.3; so you could try current master builds available from dev-builds; installing it would be in parallel (since it’s not a release configuration), and could give you some output strings to proceed.

tdf#121874 is the bug number.

What do you mean by ?

I mean that parameter names starting with single - are obsolete, and are replaced by -- counterparts:

"C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\soffice" --norestore --nofirststartwizard --headless --convert-to pdf %1 --outdir %var1%

Any command line with such options should emit warnings about that :slight_smile:

Additionally, --nofirststartwizard does nothing (kept just for backward compatibility).

Wrt the bug - well, in current form, it’s impossible to do anything about it.

ok. I got it. I will replace this with --. Is it applicable 6.1.3 as well?

it is applicable at least since 2011.

Thanks for all the answers. I changed the cmd command syntax. and also installed 6.3. but the problem is still there. I tried to check the properties of the soffice.bin file and it gives me “C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\soffice” “–norestore” “–nofirststartwizard” “–headless” “–convert-to” “pdf” “C:\somepath\56468446-c95a-40c8-a592-b3b2f0d292d4.docx” “–outdir” “C:\somepath\OutputFolder” “-env:OOO_CWD=2C:\somepath\PDFConverter\OutputFolder”.Do I need to do something with -env?

The soffice.bin cmdline (including that internal -env) is fine. But did you see something suspicious in the output of the command in the console?

I used > error.log 2>&1 stderr to stdout. Its printing output if its not hanging. but in this case output file is blank.

then it should be something pretty severe … unfortunately, we are back to the point of not being able to repro.

I realize this no to be an answer, but in case you cannot manage to provide the repro document, you might want to debug it yourself - Building on Windows might help you (note IDE integration bits). Also this could be of some help.