LibreOffice version question

Greetings…

According to the LibreOffice website, both the LibreOffice v7.6.7.2 (X86_64) and the LibreOffice 24.2.4 appear as “current” versions that are available for download.

However, when I installed the LibreOffice v7.6.7.2 (X86_64) version, I continue to receive update prompts to install LibreOffice 24.2.4? I installed LibreOffice v7.6.7.2 (X86_64) instead of LibreOffice 24.2.4 because it appears listed as a more stable release.

Since I installed LibreOffice v7.6.7.2 (X86_64), the “current” version, why do I continue to receive update prompts as though I am using an outdated version? Please advise. Thank you!

(question retagged by ajlittoz to avoid confusion: base flags questions related to database fronted named “Base”)

Probably @cloph can answer?

Good Day Sir,

If I could say something, as long as I remember, LO package was stable and built to last. The only issue I had to solve was a Java Update request (under WIndows), that I solved at the Control Panel—>Software.
I run LO 6.0.7 under Ubuntu 18.04 and never received an update request by the system.

They are still supported, however 7.6.7 is the last release of the 7.6 line and will soon be EOL.
We (TDF) also have LibreOffice available in Appstores for Windows and macOS, and feedback from users was that they prefer to get the udpate to a new version quicker, and thus we changed our cross-updating (suggesting the new branch version) earlier than in the past.

Previously we only enabled the cross-update once the old branch did actually reach the EOL date, so that’s why users of 7.6.7 already get the hint that 24.2 is available.

Also with the upcoming incremental updates for Windows we plan to follow the same cross-updates as we’ll do on the appstores (so do an update once the new version reaches the x.y.3 or x.y.4 release)

We see that this might be confusing when using the regular updater, so we’ll consider moving back to the old way for the classic update-check/only enabling the cross-update after EOL (which for 7.6 would be in a few days anyway)

(we’ll usually keep the download for the old version available even after that date / only replace it once the next branch has a release, so even after EOL date that doesn’t mean the downloads will vanish immediately, and we’ll still have them in our archive in any case: Index of /libreoffice/old)

1 Like

So we should change to V24.x?

Who are “we”, and how others could know if those “we” should change or not? Some use bleeding edge versions, even before they are released; some are still on 3.x.