LibreOffice won't open for me

I installed LibreOffice 7.2 on my Windows 11 machine, but I can’t open it. Tried twice.

Hi @Mark314159 . Try opening LiibreOffice in safe mode: Click Start menu > All Apps > LibreOfice 7.2 > LibreOffice (Safe mode) > Continue in Safe Mode

Does it open in Safe mode? If it does, try turning off Skia: Click Tools > Options > LibreOffice > View and under Graphics Output, untick the box that reads Use Skia for all rendering and OK. Restart Libreoffice.

Hopefully all OK after that.

If it isn’t, did you get any error messages during install? See General Installation Issues (Windows) - The Document Foundation Wiki

Hi EarnestAl,

Thanks. I can now open a LibreOffice document by clicking on it, but I still can’t open LibreOffice from the shortcut on the desktop.

Also, I’d like to import a LibreOffice document into my Google Drive, but the instructions I’ve found on the web don’t work. they don’t show the same pop-up: no “Share”, no indication of what to put in “Label”, and I always get “The specified device i invalid”.

Mark

Hi Mark. If the shortcut doesn’t work any more it might be pointing to the previous installation, you could delete it, normally Windows 11 will offer to delete shortcuts that don’t resolve.

You can create a new shortcut by

• right-clicking on the desktop and selecting New > Shortcut. Enter the location of soffice.exe, probably C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\soffice.exe but it depends on whether you used a standard install or not, click next and enter LibreOffice 7.2 and click Finish. Or
  • click Start menu > All apps > LibreOffice 7.2 and right-click on LibreOffice > More > Open file location and copy the LibreOffice link to the desktop.

Google Drive
Personally, I use another cloud service to store files because of the risk of files being accidentally opened in Google Docs and the document structure being altered without warning.
Google made many changes in the last year to their access methods breaking a lot of program set ups, including Thunderbird add-on access. If Google keeps changing the goalposts there isn’t much incentive for volunteers to write code that will be out-of-date in a few months.

You could look at Specified device invalid error when attempting to connect to Google Drive

1 Like