LibreOffice Writer - Do not check spelling for particular font / Should not mark words not in dictionary with red waves for text typed in particular font

I am using Ubuntu 22.04 and LibreOffice 24.2.0.3. In India many people used to type in Kruti Dev font for Marathi or Hindi language. Kruti Dev is non-unicode font. If we type in Lohit Marathi or Lohit Devnagari (which are Unicode fonts) and chose language as Hindi or Marathi it works fine, means for matter typed in English font it uses English dictionary and for matter typed in Hindi or Marathi it uses Hindi or Marathi dictionary. But in case of Kruti Dev font if we have to type LibreOffice it looks like लिब्रेऑफीस but you have to press the key fycsvkWQhl. Since ‘fycsvkWQhl’ word is not in the dictionary it puts red wave below the word. In fact it puts red wave below every word typed in Kruti Dev font. Which disturbs eyes.

I know that we can Turn off automatic spell checking but in the same document there might be some words in English for which we want the spell check to work. Therefore, we don’t want that automatic spell check should be turned off for entire document.

I also know that if we select text typed in Kruti Dev and use any such language which is not installed then there will be no red wave below that text typed in Kruti Dev.

I also understand that there is some text in Kruti Dev and some texts in other English font. There is some English Text and some Hindi or Marathi text typed in Kruti Dev. I can go to find and replace, in Find option I can go to format in font I choose Kruti Dev font then by clicking on Find all I can select all the text typed in that particular kruti dev font and change the language of that selected text to any such language which is not installed and it will not show red wave below the text typed in Kruti Dev font.

I want to know if there is any such way by which if I type in a new document in future it will show red wave for spelling mistake for English text only and should not show red wave below kruti dev text and it will also work for previously typed documents.

Thanks in advance.

If you use styles for your text you can disable spellcheck for that style.

There might be text in English and in Kruti Dev in the same paragraph in the same line. I want spell check should work on English text and not on Kruti Dev text. Does the style option will prove useful in such case?

Yes, you define a style for your English text and another style for your Kruti Dev text. Set the style for the Kruti Dev text to not spellcheck.

Note that the upside is, that you may set both the font and the “do not spellcheck” language in the same style, so you don’t need to do two actions.

Note also, that Writer has many style categories; here, you will create character style, not paragraph style.

1 Like