Libreoffice Writer Document Keeps Crashing when trying to change font - Mac

I’m running a M1 Mac with OS Sonoma 14.6.1. I have the latest Silicon update for Libre Office. I have a 300+ odt document I’ve been working on with various images and fonts.

There is literally a single letter that is too large and every time I try to decrease the size, Libre crashes. I’ve tried unticking Skia, I’ve tried uninstalling and re-installing the app. I’ve also tried running in Safe Mode and it still does it. I’m able to copy and paste it into a new document and then change the font size, but when I go to put it back into the main document, it crashes. I can change the type of font without it crashing, but changing the size crashes every time. I can change anywhere else in the document just fine. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Which LO release? “latest Silicon update” does not mean anything because “latest” is highly variable with time (and platform).

Give us also an idea on your approach to document formatting: are you applying styles? Do you format everything manually?

The latter is particularly detrimental when there are numerous images. With styles, you only need to update the style configuration once and everything is forwarded to the whole document when you save the style.

I don’t really know anything about formatting styles, so perhaps that is the issue? I do everything manually. It’s a novel I’ve been working on, and it has various font types and sizes, so I usually just highlight whatever needs to be larger and then make it larger with the drop down options.

Styles are your best friends as soon as your document is larger then 5 pages (and frequently the threshold is at 3 pages). Your misbehaviour now depends on the number of images. A dozen images is no problem, hundreds are.

I recommend you read the Writer Guide for an introduction to styles.

For a better diagnostic, attach the first 5-10 pages of your novel (if not first, a “representative” sequence with images).

It’s genuinely just one letter that is too large. So does that mean it’s just permanently that size now?

It’s the first letter in the sentence that I made be a size 36 by accident and didn’t realize it until later on.

Figured it out. Not entirely sure how, but I managed to find some window that showed a list of things applied to that one letter and just deleted them all. Seems to have fixed it.

Cross posted on Reddit.

If you cross post, as a courtesy please let us know that you have done so, otherwise it leads to several discussions and a waste of time because several identical answers may be posted by different users.