LibreOffice Writer is slow

LibreOffice writer 7.1.4.2 is extremely slow. Characters I type take a few seconds to appear, scrolling is laggy, and occasionally the app stops responding for a few seconds.

I have tried several things to eliminate lag, such as disabling Java runtime environment and OpenCL along with all smooth scrolling and antialisaing off, yet it is still very slow.

My PC specs are as follows:

• Windows 10 professional 64 bit CPU
  • 8th Gen Intel Core i5 @1.6 GHz
    GPU
  • Intel UHD Graphics Memory: 8 GB

Have you tested with a clean profile? Menu/Help/Start in safe mode. Have your file a lot of non-text objects, like images? You can see and copy the OS and LO Version in Menu/Help/About LibreOffice.

If you have 500 pages and 300 large images in your Writer document it will be slow. You can stop images loading by unhighlighting/unticking View > Images and charts. Consider breaking the file into smaller pieces and using a Master document.

If the file is not large then press Ctrl+Alt+Del and select Task Manager to see what is using resources.

FWIW, I’ve been struggling with severe lag in Writer in LO 6.1 in a 167 page-long document (109,000 words, approx. 690,000 characters). Deleting all comments immediately solved the issue for me (there were hundreds of them).

Software environment

Details : LibreOffice 6.1.5.2, build ID: 1:6.1.5-3+deb10u7 (Debian 10.11) on x86_64; 12 CPU threads; Linux 4.19; UI render: default; VLC: gtk3