LibreOffice Writer MacOS 12.6 (Monterey) Crashing after closing equation editor

I have been able to repeat this issue on 7.3 & 7.4 with both Intel & M1 Mac.

Heres how it goes

1. Open Writer
  2. Click Insert
  3. Insert Formula Object
  4. Type anything
  5. Close Equation Editor
  6. It Crashes Everytime

After step 4, if I wanted to go back to the Writer interface I would just click in the Writer pane (outside the equation) and Formula Editor will close but the equation would remain on the page.

If I click File > Close it will close the Writer document (which contains the formula), is this what you mean?

If you type a + b = c, select it and click Insert > OLE object > Formula object does Writer crash or is the equation created?

Yes in step five I mean click back to writer interface which closes the equation editor. If i " If you type a + b = c , select it and click Insert > OLE object > Formula object does Writer crash or is the equation created?" then an equation is created and writer does not crash. Only creating an empty equation does it crash.

It sounds a bit like a graphics issue but maybe your user profile. First see if the formula editor works correctly in Safe Mode. Click Help > Restart in safe mode > Continue in Safe Mode then test as your steps above. If it works OK then it is probably your user profile, LibreOffice user profile - The Document Foundation Wiki

The page First steps to take before submitting a bug - The Document Foundation Wiki can help with checking if other settings need to be changed.

This unfortunately is a known bug.
tdf#145266

1 Like

So workaround is to

• Write the code in Writer and then click Insert > OLE object > Formula object and not edit it. Or
  • Use LO version 7.1.8 ref comment 9 in the bug report