LibreOffice Writer suddenly stopped letting me save my docs "insufficient user rights"

Apparently something has gotten accidentally changed in my settings for LibreOffice Writer. I’ve been using it regularly without any problems. But this afternoon, it suddenly refuses to let me save documents.

I get this error message:
Error saving the document (…) :
Object not accessible.
The object cannot be accessed
due to insufficient user rights.

Nobody has user rights to these documents but me. I wrote them myself and nobody else has ever seen them.

Hoping someone can help me with this, because I’m on a tight deadline with some work that I need to finish up soon.

I have to guess that you are using Windows because you haven’t said what operating system. If the below doesn’t help, then click Help - About LibreOffice and press the button next to version information to copy, then edit your question (pencil icon) to paste the details.

You have probably turned on anti ransomware in your anti virus. You will need to add soffice.bin to the Allowed list in your anti virus.

See this page for an example, Defender Controlled folder access exception for LibreOffice - The Document Foundation Wiki

Yes, I’m on Windows 7. I’ve been converting tons of Clarisworks documents before I can upgrade to a new computer. That software is so old, it barely made it into Windows 7 years ago. But now it’s urgent that I do that, because my computer is dying. I really need to get all these documents converted before it’s too late.
As to your suggestion, thanks, but I promise you, I have changed NOTHING in antivirus. I have no idea what the allowed list means. I have not turned on anti-ransomwear.
I was just using LibreOffice converting those documents and it suddenly stopped letting me save anything

I just read the article you gave me a link for, and it’s wayyyy over my head :frowning:

Do you have sufficient space on your hard drive to save the new documents? Press Win+E to open File Explorer, right click on C: drive and select Properties. How much free space do you have?

What anti-virus are you using?

I’ve got plenty of space on my hard drive for the new documents. Deleting all the old versions and I’ve got 145 GB free.

I’m using AVG Antivirus Free.
I can’t imagine how that might have caused any problems. I changed NOTHING in that today. I was just busily converting those documents, and it suddenly stopped letting me save.
I will say however that every so often LibreOffice completely hangs and I have to force it to shut down then restart the software. I expect that’s a problem with my computer, since I’m also having problems with trying to select more than one file in Explorer.

Hello, EarnestAl,
Trying to reply to your suggestion. I don’t know if you’ve seen my previous replies.The only way I can see to post a comment is to click “suggest a solution”.
I got partway through what you suggested:
" click Help - About LibreOffice and press the button next to version information to copy, then edit your question (pencil icon) to paste the details."
I pressed the button next to version information. And… .I got no clue what to do past that point.

Please click the the comment icon (speech bubble) if it isn’t a solution.

You can paste the details into your comment by pressing Ctrl+VWhat anti-virus do you have?

Yes, I finally figured that out… :wink:

Still baffled about that. I click that button and it just says “copy all version information in English”

There’s no pencil and I don’t know what to write anyway…

Or are you talking about how to reply here in the forum…? LOL

Version: 7.2.6.2 (x64) / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: b0ec3a565991f7569a5a7f5d24fed7f52653d754
CPU threads: 4; OS: Windows 6.1 Service Pack 1 Build 7601; UI render: Skia/Raster; VCL: win
Locale: en-US (en_US); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

AVG antivirus free

These steps are likely to be similar to the paid-for suite.

1. Open AVG.

2. Click Menu > Settings > Blocked and Allowed Apps then click on the button +Allow App.

3. A new dialog will appear

4. Click the button Select app path. A dialog box to navigate to the app you want to add will appear. We need to add soffice.bin which won’t appear as an app, so assuming you have a standard 64 bit install the path is "C:\Program Files\LibreOffice\program\soffice.bin", otherwise navigate to the folder and start writing in soffice.bin and the file should appear as a choice. Click Open

Cheers, Al

Note that these instructions are from AVG 2020, the actual detail might have changed but the basic steps are likely to be similar.

See How to use the Blocked & Allowed apps settings | AVG

EDIT

It might be worth having a look at this question on Microsoft forum, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/problem-selecting-multiple-files/ebbde7c0-4971-4b71-bc1c-8c51ee59b2c6

The screen I saw didn’t look like this. I never saw anything that said “soffice. bin” and wouldn’t have known what to do with that. No idea what it means to install a path.
But I did see a screen that said “Add allowed apps”. I scrolled down to LibreWriter and clicked “add”.
That worked! I’m able to save my documents again.
I was just guessing, so I hope I didn’t cause any problems doing this.

Thanks for your kind help and your patience with me. Really hoping I did the right thing.

Happily, it seems that AVG app has got a bit more clever about LibreOffice.