list of libreoffice document suffixes?

I just want to know the suffixes and what type of document does it correspond to. I am new to libreoffice.

For example in my world, word document’s suffix is .doc. i got confused because i made a .xlc document (cat pract.xlc) thinking it was an excel document. But when i opened it it was a “word document”

Example:

.doc = word document
.ppo = powerpoint

Some thing easy like this above is good so we all know. I could find a good search result because it is an odd question to ask.

See LibreOffice Help on XML File Formats.

Also, when you choose menu File - Save as… in the File type field you can see all available formats for the actual module (module = Writer, Calc, Impress, etc.).

Add Answer is reserved for solutions. If you think the answer is not satisfactory, add a comment below, or click edit (below your question) to add more information. Thanks.

Check the mark (Answer markCorrect answer mark) to the left of the answer that solves your question (it may take a little while until it turns green).

This is interesting for information only because you have generally no use for it.

The extension (this is how the “suffix” is technically named) is an artefact historically used by older OS’s to launch the “correct” application when you double-click on a file icon. The association between extension and application is stored in a system dictionary. This dictionary can altered by user to divert handling to another application. The trick is used so that M$ Office documents (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, …) are opened by LO (Writer, Calc, Impress, …) when the M$ suite is not present on the computer.

Newer OS’s have a more elaborate procedure. They first read some piece(s) of the file and try to guess the contents type (this is called a MIME category). The MIME category then determines which application to launch. On these OS’s, the extension/application association list could in principle be ignored. However most of them use a mixed strategy.

To make things more complicated, LO does not rely on the extension. If the OS has determined it should launch LO to handle the file, LO starts by reading the beginning of the file to see what exactly is inside and will route the file to its appropriate component (Writer, Calc, Impress, …). This means that if a naming error has been done on the file (say, you named a text document x.ods), LO will correctly pass the file to Writer and not to Calc. It also means that LO doesn’t really care for extensions.

The only case where this strategy is defeated occurs when LO is confronted with an empty file. It falls back to the extension designation. This case is frequent under Windows, because you can create new files from the file browser without ever being touched by LO. Consequently, the file is not initialised (even a blank file has some contents) and this causes unexpected problems when the file is subsequently opened.

Rather than assigning yourself extensions to file, use the LO components to create your files. When you save, don’t enter the extension. LO will add it without error.

Next rely on the icon on your desktop. Every component has different icons (and icons are also different for various file types like regular documents or templates).

To show the community your question has been answered, click the ✓ next to the correct answer, and “upvote” by clicking on the ^ arrow of any helpful answers. These are the mechanisms for communicating the quality of the Q&A on this site. Thanks!

In case you need clarification, edit your question (not an answer which is reserved for solutions) or comment the relevant answer.

1 Like