LO 5.1.4.2 on KUbuntu 14.04.4-Crashes/closes

I’m trying to troubleshoot why my Libreoffice install has started closing all apps within seconds after starting. The Libreoffice version available from the Ubuntu repo (don’t what version that was) had been installed on this system and had worked 100% until yesterday. The only thing that had changed on the system was a fairly large group of updates from Ubuntu. Soon after, when I’d attempt to use LO Calc (the most frequently used app from LO), it would start, draw the main window, wait about 10-15 seconds then close, showing no error, just close. Trying other LO apps, I found they did the same thing, where the app starts, completely draws the main window, then closes. I found that the LO “menu” app, with icons to start all of the various “parts” of LO starts fine, stays up, but if you try to start any of the apps from the icons on the left side of the screen, they start/close same as if you start them individually from the OS menu. I tried removing/purging the installed version via Synaptic, completely removing that version of LO, and reinstalling the latest version from the LO website (the current 5.1.4.2), and discovered it does the exact same thing on each app. The only one that stays up for any length of time is LO-Base, at its Database Wizard screen. Each time an attempt is made to restart Calc (or any other LO app) a “recovery” screen comes up before the main window, and if you choose either choice, the main window comes up and within seconds closes… I used to support MSOffice and I can’t count the times I faced similar problems with it, but this is the first time I’ve had problems with LO, having been using it on Linux since I switched to Linux about 6 years ago… Any ideas??

Thanks
Dave

While waiting for a response here, I removed the downloaded 5.1.4.2 packages, and reinstalled the Ubuntu repo version just for the heck of it, and now everything works… Unless it blows up again, I guess…

Aaaaand after nearly a day of working just fine, the SAME almost immediate crash is happening. This time I checked /var/crash and found at the very end of the crash file, with the Kate editor, the following Title: soffice.bin crashed with SIGSEGV in SalGraphics::DrawNativeControl() I’d noticed there had been some additional Ubuntu updates today… I wonder if something in the updates keeps screwing LO up…

Is there a better place to ask this question? I figured the libreoffice forums would have the most likely chance of having an answer/fix for this issue.