LO Base 7.1.1.2 does not save to mounted drive (linux)

Hello all,

First let me explain my setup: A NAS folder is mounted to 3 linux machines (via fstab). All machines run the same distro (Mint 20.1 Cinnamon, all updates installed). On 2 of those machines LO 7.0.4.2 is installed, on the third one LO 7.1.1.2 (most recent version, as of this writing).

Now, when I try to update a LO Base odb file located on this NAS, using the 7.1.1.2 version, I can make the changes (like modify a form) and ‘save’ to memory, but when I try to save to disk (from the main Base window) nothing happens (and the save icon stays the ‘not-saved’ version), all I can do is exit without saving changes.

But:

• When I copy the odb file from the NAS to a folder on the local disk, saving the file works ok.
  • Updating/saving the same file using a 7.0.4.2 version works ok.

Also, I’m convinced there’s nothing wrong with the NAS mount because

• other programs (e.g. xed) can save files to the nas mount
  • other LO 7.1.1.2 modules (writer, calc, draw) can save files to the nas mount

Has anyone encountered the same or can anyone confirm this behaviour ?

• What’s your network protocol for the NAS mount - CIFS/SMB or NFS, or …?
  • Any .~lock.<filename># remainder on the NAS directory of the database file ?

Network protocol is CIFS and there is no ~lock file.
As mentioned, writer, calc, draw … have no issues writing to the NAS directory of the base file.

As mentioned …

Understood - but .~lock.<filename># is a per file lock file and not per application lock file, that’s why I asked to be sure.

This may be bug tdf#140484 LibreOffice 7.1 cannot save odb files created in previous versions on cifs filesystem - though the report is still in state “UNCONFIRMED”. So it might be interesting, if

• this happens on databases created with earlier releases of LibreOffice only
  • this does not happen with new databases.

Ok, I understand. Also, when I create a new dbf file in the NAS drive, the file gets written at initial creation, but after that, it can not be saved from Base 7.1.1.2 main window (and doing this from Base 7.0.4.2 works fine)

IIRC the existing odb was initially created in 7.0.4.2 on a local disk and later copied to CIFS NAS…

Just tested using CIFS (vers=3.1.1) and LibreOffice

Version: 7.1.2.2 / LibreOffice Community
Build ID: 8a45595d069ef5570103caea1b71cc9d82b2aae4
CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.3; UI render: default; VCL: kf5
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Calc: threaded

and on Mint 20.1 using Cinnamon (Ubuntu PPA for fresh)

Version: 7.1.2.2 / LibreOffice Community, Build ID: 10(Build:2)
CPU threads: 4; OS: Linux 5.8; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3
Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI: en-US
Ubuntu package version: 1:7.1.2~rc2-0ubuntu0.20.04.1~lo3
Calc: threaded

with no issue.

I see 7.1.2.2 is out now, please advise : do I install it over 7.1.1.2 or do I remove 7.1.1.2 ?

If you use the same repositiory (which is not clear to me now, from where you got your current LibreOffice 7.1.1.2 release - showing Help -> About LibreOffice might help) - you should either

• sudo dpkg --install *.deb (if you have your current release from libreoffice.org)
  • sudo apt upgrade (if you have it installed from Ubuntu PPA ppa:libreoffice/libreoffice-7-1 or ppa:libreoffice/ppa)
  • Don’t ask me, if you installed a snap / flatpak or AppImage version of LibreOffice

In general there is no need to remove a current release before installing a new one. However if changing the repository / type of image you might end in having more than on release on you system. So don’t do that, if that would confuse you.

I’ve got LO from libreoffice.org and manually installed using dpkg, To make sure, I’ll remove all existing packages and after install let you know if odb saves …

I’ll remove all existing packages

No - if you download the new release from libreoffice.org as well, there is no need to uninstall the current. The old one gets replaced (this would not happen, if you would change the repository to Ubuntu PPA).

> after install let you know if odb saves ...

That would be nice to create a final summarizing answer.

Sorry, but I saw your response too late, anyhow 7.1.1.2 removed and 7.1.2.2 installed.
Still cannot save odb file; but save as works … even to the original name : open orig.odb … save as copy.odb … then open copy.odb & save as orig.odb … (my cifs version is cifs-utils 2:6.9-ubuntu0.1)

This is getting stranger … With my existing odb I can do this save as … (afterwards the saved file becomes the active db). When I create a new odb, save as creates a 0-size file and makes Base crash …

FYI: I took one of my other machines where I had LO 7.0.4.2, removed it and installed 7.1.2.2 (dpkg) and I have the same fenomenon : no save, save as works … but not for new odb file …

On this second machine I removed 7.1.2.2 and installed (dpkg) a freshly downloaded 7.0.5.2 and save to CIFS folder works …