LO Base: Back end at home, access it from elsewhere

Hi, I am fairly new to Base. I’m OK with MS Access, but I need a solution where I can create a split database in Base on a machine at home and then have a front end on a laptop I take with me. I envision working this through a VPN. I eventually want to be able to do this with an android app in the future, but I have a lot to learn until then.

Hello,

You need to set up a Database server of your choice - MySQL, PostgreSQL, Firebird etc. Then you need to set up personal access to it such as through the VPN. Then Base simply connect to this. Base is nothing more than a front end to a database.

You can actually test this using a MySQL database. Check out this site → Remote MySQL

Have tried this without problem. Use for a test only! Here is a JDBC connection:

image description

When you sign up you will also get a user name & database name which goes on the Advanced Properties tab. Of course you need to install a MySQL JDBC driver on your system. Test was on Mint 18.3 system.

Thank You. I’m going to have to dig into this more. I have a planned progression in my brain, and this is the second step. first is splitting the DB. This gives me a good idea where to go with that.