LO Basic Calc Cell.NumberFormat -- is there a list somewhere?

I needed to format a cell as a date in my macro, in the US format MM/DD/YY. I recorded a macro formatting it by hand in order to get some code to do it. The code is a bit cumbersome involving the use of the UNO/API. But I noticed it included the lines:

args1(0).Name = “NumberFormatValue”
args1(0).Value = 37

So as an experiment I tried doing it this way instead:

oColDCell.NumberFormat=37

where oColDCell is the name of the cell I was trying to format as a date.

And it worked.

I assume that 37 is some kind of ID for the US MM/DD/YY format. But I cannot find anywhere a list of codes/IDs corresponding to different number formats. Is there such a thing? I think it could be very useful.

See also the FindCreateNumberFormatStyle function in the famous book by A. Pitonyak OOME_4_1.odt.
Example:

ThisComponent.CurrentSelection.NumberFormat = _
    FindCreateNumberFormatStyle("MM/DD/YY", ThisComponent)

reportNumberFormats.odt (59.2 KB)

Not the smartest macro on earth. Install it and find it under Tools>Macros>reportNumberFormats.
It tests the current Writer or Calc document for number format keys from 0 to 100,000. A million does not yield any more formats.
Finally, it reports the number formats to a new spreadsheet. The first block without locale info is about the number formats of the current default locale. They are translated to an equivalent format when opened with a different locale.

Note that in Calc the first 0…9999 format keys are of the default locale, all other (every 10000) format keys of locales are in arbitrary order in which a locale was first used in the document. You’d get format keys up to a million (or more) if you used formats of 100 (or more) different locales…

1 Like

Please see

In general: the “fixed” code mapping is not part of the API. There is a range of the numbers, that looks “stable”. But there is a chance that any such code can change at some point (e.g., South African number format changed in LibreOffice, because of the official documentation was pointed out; then, there is a different matter of de-facto use, which may warrant another change … so the code pointing at that format, may change over versions).

The answer there (as well as my answer quoted above) points to the proper API. Better create a number format code for a wanted format in a needed locale explicitly, than rely on some hardcoded magic code.